• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto mechanic rip off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil96

What is the name of your state? VA
Ok a few weeks ago as I was pulling into the parking lot at work, my car broke down. My insurance pays for free towing, I wanted it taken to my usual place, but the towing guy said at his place they guarantee same day service because they stay open until 11:30pm.
After he convinced me to take it there I did.
I called at 9:40 pm that night and the person said that my car was done, but they didn't have the order written down, so they could not tell me the price. (BTW he also said htat he had seen the other guys driving it around)
So i call in the morning, they say they haven't worked on it yet. But that it was the motor transfer case that was messed up and they could fix it shortly. Later on they call to tell me it was fixed. I asked if it was ok if I picked the car up at anytime, the person on the phone once again stated they stayed open until 11:30 so anytime was fine.
We got there at 9, the lights were off no one was there. We assumed that meant there was only one guy working at night and he had to tow someone. We hung out in this town for an hour (it is a half hour drive from my house) get back still no one. No one answers the phone, we call the insurance company to see if they can get in touch with the shop, and they do.
The owner says his hours are clearly posted on the door and he is only open until 9.
The next day I come back to pick up my car on my lunch hour, I ask to talk to the employee to clarify what he said. the owner tells me that he wil deal with it and if I didn't leave he will call the cops.
I left, that was Friday.
Saturday, we go on a 2 hour drive (thinking our car is ok!!). Our car breaks down while we were there!
Monday morning my husband called to complain and ask for our $350 back. He says we can bring the car back and he will look at it, but he will not refund.
1. I do not trust this guy (he and his company lied to me about the hours)
2. I do not trust this guy (he had told me the car was fixed)
3. He did not fix it the last time, so why take it back there?
4. I need my car to drive to work (we only have one car) so for me to drive to this place, I would have to take time off from work or get a rental car (again)
I have contacted Better Business Bureau about this, but that did not help much. They told me that he offered to do a mediation, which means we meet with a 3rd party for $20/hr (both parties) to discuss the problem.
This doesnot help me at all.
If I could afford $20/hr I wouldn't be complaining about the $350 they oriinally stole from me! So I had to turn down this mediation thing, and the case is closed with them. (that is a whole 'nother story I am angry about)
But I wanted to know if anyone thought this is a worthy cause taking it to small claims court. I had to pay $350 to get it "fixed" by them, then rent a car an extra week, while it was fixed somewhere else. Is this reasonable? The total suing would be for around $450.
Thanks, sorry it was so long.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">