• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Mechanic Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthonyshepherd

I live in Illinois.

Ok here is the deal. My truck would not start so I started making some calls to some friends I know who work with trucks. They referred me to this guy who use to be a diesel mechanic for ford, who now works for someone else and gave me a business card to his business that deals with diesel vehicles and parts.

He came over and it turned out it was something minor that I fixed on my own. After that we got to talking and it seemed like he knew what he was doing and gave me his business card. Well, a couple weeks later my water pump starts leaking and I figure I will give this guy a job to make him some extra money.

I drove out to Ford with him to buy the part and gave him the cash while he went in and paid for the part. We then went to his dads shop where he worked on the truck while I just hung out and kinda watched what he was doing. Got down to the last bolt and it would not budge, so we took off to a couple hardware shops to find a tool to get it out, but couldn't find anything. We then drove out to his work's building to see if there were any tools there and there was none, so I ended up leaving my truck with him for the weekend to fix. I borred a vehicle and a couple days later he called and told me it was done.

I came and picked it up and paid him 180 dollars for labor and me not thinking did not get a receipt. I got home and my hood had steam coming off of it. I opened it up and it wasnt too bad, but definetly did not seem normal. I called him up and he told me he probably got some grease somewhere and to give him a call in a couple days if it kept happening. Well the next night it was still happening. I drove it to work a few days later and it was still going on and I let him know. He them goes "ohhh I think I know what the problem is. I poked a hole through something and I just have to fill it."

That night I had to be somewhere near his house and he said he would come pick it up and leave his truck there and take my truck to his shop to work on. On my way back from work to go drop the truck off I made it about halfway and couldnt go any further. Engine coolant was spraying all over the place and I lost power stearing causing me to almost go off the road on a turn not expecting it to happen. I pulled over and gave him a call and no answer. I finally made it home in a cloud of smoke and still, no answer.

Ever since I have not heard back from him. Its been over a week and I have called him every day and no answer. I have left him a few messages asking him to call me back and telling him if he doesnt call me back I will have to get the law involved, but still, no answer.

So the other day I called his work asking for him and he was out of the shop on a service call. I asked to talked to his manager and told him the story and how he went to his shop to get tools and so on. He said whatever he did was on his own...which I expected he would, but I just wanted to try to get through to this kid somehow.

Well, today on my way home I get a call telling me there is a message on the machine from the police about me calling this kid everyday and calling his work.

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This kid basically screwed me over and now because I'm calling him trying to get it straightened out he is calling the cops on me? FOR WHAT? Its cant be harassment because he never one answered and told me to stop calling. All I'm trying to do is get my truck fixed or get my money back.

I need some advice. What do you think I should do and what should I do and what should I avoid in order to possibly get the money back that I paid this kid for a job he either screwed up or did not complete. I have been without a truck for over a week now and have missed work because I can not get there!!!!

Thanks for reading and I appreciate ANY advice I can get!

I still cant believe this kid did this to me and called the police on me for trying to get a hold of him after this.

robdodge21

Communication

Hello, I feel for you pal. I would call the police and get some answers. I would give them your side of the story. Ask what you can do and what kind of communication can you have with this other guy that is within the law. Let the police know that you just want to resolve this matter professionally. The bad thing is that you don't have a receipt, but you may have had witnesses at the shop who saw this guy working on your truck. You also may have witnesses from the store where you bought the parts from, and the receipts fro the parts which were bought that will have the time and date which will go in your favor as evidence if this should go through small claims court. Lastly, evaluate how valuable is your time? You may just want to chalk this one up as a loss, and learn from it. I know it's tough to swallow, but this guy just seems like a jerk and chances are , he's not going to pay anyways. Remember , life is too short to worry about jerks like this one. He'll get his in the end. "What goes around comes around." Be better than him.Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">