• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile Repair Shop Rip-Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casey154

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I recently had my girlfriend drop our van off at a repair shop for them to determine what is wrong with it (it blows smoke out of the exhaust when started and a dash light stays on). I had her express to them that I did not want anything done to the vehicle before we were notified of the costs. They said that was understandable and they went about running their tests. The cost came back at around $800. I thought that was a bit extensive and decided I did not want them to go through with the repairs. That is when we were told that there is a $143 cost for running the tests. We did not sign any papers and were under the impression that the test would not cost anything.

I said they can take me to small claims court if they'd like, but I want the van back and I was not going to pay a dime. They told me I cannot get the van back until it's paid.

What are my options?

Thanks,
Casey

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pay the money and get your van back. If you don't, you'll be out a LOT more money AND out a van.

After you have your van back, sue the bad guys in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">