• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ Laws, Shoplifting by a minor, Company responsibilities none??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frustrated Mom

What is the name of your state? AL

Last summer my 17 year old son ran away and ended in in AZ (unbeknownst to me). He apparently was caught shoplifting in Dillards and was released to some street person he was hanging with (a known felon it turns out) BUT the store nor the AZ law enforcement agencies EVER contacted me at all...the first notice I got about the incident was a bill from a law firm for a "civil" tort for the amount. And that was almost a month after it happened!

I wrote them a letter and asked for any and all paperwork relating to this incident, but all I got was a "you're responsible, this is a civil matter, so pay up" response.

My question - this was a minor child, in another state, a runaway AND listed in the NCIC database....DOES Arizona not have any laws concerning who a child is released to or who they have to notify when they "apprehend" a child in the midst of a crime, like shoplifting?

I mean, really - if they never have to notify the parents, or the law and all they have to do is shake their finger at the child, then send the parents a bill....sounds like a pretty workable scam to me and a way for them to make millions off of parents!!

What DOES Arizona law say about reporting legal interaction with a minor child?

Thanks...What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">