• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitter gone mad!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Damonc

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I just got something in the mail today from our old babysitter. It is a letter explaining that we owe her $500. She is threatening to sue us if not paid in two weeks. The fact of the matter is, we stopped using her two months ago and now she is charging us for 'holding' a spot, and $10 a day late fee on those charges. No contract was ever signed stating that we had to pay her the $48 even if our child wasn't there.

Does she have a legitimate claim? If so how can I fight it?

Happy Trails

Damonc said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I just got something in the mail today from our old babysitter. It is a letter explaining that we owe her $500. She is threatening to sue us if not paid in two weeks. The fact of the matter is, we stopped using her two months ago and now she is charging us for 'holding' a spot, and $10 a day late fee on those charges. No contract was ever signed stating that we had to pay her the $48 even if our child wasn't there.

Does she have a legitimate claim?

Possibly...

If so how can I fight it?

That would depend...
There apparently was some form of an agreement. Did you inform her that you were no longer going to use her? This would only be a guess on my part because you state she was 'holding' a spot for your child.

What arrangement did you believe you had with her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">