• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

babysitter quits next day after we gave her 2 weeks notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veliromn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

We told yesterday on Wednesday our babysitter that in two weeks we no longer need her services since the child has to go visit for 3 months her grandparents in another country. Babysitter was ok but today on Thursday she informed us that tomorrow, Friday is her last day since she found another job.
This was surprise since we think we were nice to her and told her that we hope she would not quit on us before expiration of these 2 weeks, and she answered no, you are very nice, I would not do that.
Now tomorrow is her payday for last two weeks and we would like to pay her only for one week since my wife now has to take days off from her job to sit with our baby before departure.
Is there legal consequences in doing so? we have no contract with her at all

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

We told yesterday on Wednesday our babysitter that in two weeks we no longer need her services since the child has to go visit for 3 months her grandparents in another country. Babysitter was ok but today on Thursday she informed us that tomorrow, Friday is her last day since she found another job.
This was surprise since we think we were nice to her and told her that we hope she would not quit on us before expiration of these 2 weeks, and she answered no, you are very nice, I would not do that.
Now tomorrow is her payday for last two weeks and we would like to pay her only for one week since my wife now has to take days off from her job to sit with our baby before departure.
You must pay the sitter for all the time she worked. She is not your slave.

LdiJ

If you do not pay her for the hours/days that she actually worked, then yes, there would be consequences...potentially expensive consequences.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You want do deny her a week of pay that she worked? You have been taking out taxes right? You would be liable for those wages. You owe her the money for the time worked.

swalsh411

What kind of shady d-bag are you? Of course you must pay her for the time she worked. Your failure to secure alternate child care is not something she is responsible for. And heaven forbid a mother take time off work to be with her baby!

edit: It's reprehensible that you thought for even one second it would be ok not to pay her for a week she spent caring for your child.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
can you answer my question? if not, just don't answer anything.
We are losing more money if my wife has to take days off.
Did you pay the employer's portion of Social Security and Medicare? Did you pay into unemployment? Did you pay any of your employer taxes for her? Did you pay her overtime? You pay her at least minimum wage, correct? She worked for two weeks therefore you are to pay her for two weeks. It not, I wouldn't blame her if she turned you in to the IRS, department of labor and various other agencies that would cost you a lot of money for your actions. Quite frankly, this is YOUR child. YOU and YOUR wife are the ones who should lose money for your child due to your choices. The person you employed is not the one who should lose money due to your choices. This person worked for you for two weeks and gets paid for two weeks. End of story. How dare you think you get to penalize this person for not working for you up until YOU decide you no longer want her around. Your question was answered. YOu just didn't like the answer.

If you don't want to spend money on a child, DO NOT HAVE A CHILD. Easy peasy.

swalsh411

can you answer my question? if not, just don't answer anything.
We are losing more money if my wife has to take days off.
It's clear you came here looking for justification to do something illegal and immoral and now are mad you're not getting it.

veliromn

Did you pay the employer's portion of Social Security and Medicare? Did you pay into unemployment? Did you pay any of your employer taxes for her? Did you pay her overtime? You pay her at least minimum wage, correct? She worked for two weeks therefore you are to pay her for two weeks. It not, I wouldn't blame her if she turned you in to the IRS, department of labor and various other agencies that would cost you a lot of money for your actions. Quite frankly, this is YOUR child. YOU and YOUR wife are the ones who should lose money for your child due to your choices. The person you employed is not the one who should lose money due to your choices. This person worked for you for two weeks and gets paid for two weeks. End of story. How dare you think you get to penalize this person for not working for you up until YOU decide you no longer want her around. Your question was answered. YOu just didn't like the answer.

If you don't want to spend money on a child, DO NOT HAVE A CHILD. Easy peasy.
Please read my post carefully - we have no contract, no taxes, nothing, just was paying cash.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Please read my post carefully - we have no contract, no taxes, nothing, just was paying cash.
Which is illegal and a violation of the law and tax codes. You were paying her under the table and therefore violating the law. Which means you are a criminal. If you don't pay her the money she earned, you can find yourself in a legal mess.

veliromn

Which is illegal and a violation of the law and tax codes. You were paying her under the table and therefore violating the law. Which means you are a criminal. If you don't pay her the money she earned, you can find yourself in a legal mess.
you make me laugh now... what an idiot you are

RRevak

Then pay the girl for the last 2 weeks, give her best wishes, and wave as she departs. She isn't liable for the following week your wife has to take off work, thats on you because as you said, there is no contract so she is under no obligation to stay past when she gives notice she's leaving. If tomorrow is her last day well, then its her last day. If you had a contract for her to finish the next 2 weeks, and she left tomorrow, then you would have claim to gripe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">