• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitter suing for pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iuliana1730

North Dakota.

My little sister agreed to work for a local lady every Saturday babysitting in return for acquiring ownership of one of the lady's horses. This past spring she was told the horse was hers, and has since been working for board of the horse. She has put in approximately 500 hours in the last two years. When she mentioned moving the horse to the town she will be attending college in, her employer decided the horse did not belong to her and she could not take it. At first she admitted the amount of time my sister had put in, but later changed her mind and said she had only worked about 100 hours. She also decided that instead of cash or horse ownership she wanted to pay her in the costume jewelry she sells on the side. Unfortunately there is no contract or paperwork proving the ownership of the horse or the amount of work my sister has put in. My question is, does she have any chance at all in recouping money in small claims court? (she has pretty much given up on the horse)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

North Dakota.

My little sister agreed to work for a local lady every Saturday babysitting in return for acquiring ownership of one of the lady's horses. This past spring she was told the horse was hers, and has since been working for board of the horse. She has put in approximately 500 hours in the last two years. When she mentioned moving the horse to the town she will be attending college in, her employer decided the horse did not belong to her and she could not take it. At first she admitted the amount of time my sister had put in, but later changed her mind and said she had only worked about 100 hours. She also decided that instead of cash or horse ownership she wanted to pay her in the costume jewelry she sells on the side. Unfortunately there is no contract or paperwork proving the ownership of the horse or the amount of work my sister has put in. My question is, does she have any chance at all in recouping money in small claims court? (she has pretty much given up on the horse)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How old is sister from begining to end of this "contract" and is there a GOOD reason she (if an adult) or (her mother/father is she is a minor) can't post for her/themselves??
Thaks.
blue

Iuliana1730

I am posting this because my sister (who was a minor at the beginning of the working relationship but has since turned 18) thinks she is obligated to accept the jewelry and I want to show her she has other options. The work began a little over a year ago, last September, and continued until this October.

Just Blue

I am posting this because my sister (who was a minor at the beginning of the working relationship but has since turned 18) thinks she is obligated to accept the jewelry and I want to show her she has other options. The work began a little over a year ago, last September, and continued until this October.
Please refer her to this site and we will be glad to assist her.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">