• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Babysitting fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsWest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I babysat a child for 5 days and am owed $100. I told her at the beginning of the week that it was the last week I would care for her child. At the end of the week she told me she would come by and pay the next day. She never came so I called her. She proceeds to say she didn't like the care I gave her daughter and would not be paying me. Can I take her to small claims?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I babysat a child for 5 days and am owed $100. I told her at the beginning of the week that it was the last week I would care for her child. At the end of the week she told me she would come by and pay the next day. She never came so I called her. She proceeds to say she didn't like the care I gave her daughter and would not be paying me. Can I take her to small claims?
It will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $45 to $55 to file a small claims action against the child's mom but, yes, you can sue the mother for the babysitting money owed. You might want to send her a letter first, though, advising her that you are considering taking legal action if she does not pay you for your babysitting services.

Here is a link with information: http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/magistrate-court

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $45 to $55 to file a small claims action against the child's mom but, yes, you can sue the mother for the babysitting money owed. You might want to send her a letter first, though, advising her that you are considering taking legal action if she does not pay you for your babysitting services.

Here is a link with information: http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/magistrate-court

Good luck.
Just so the OP understands -

If you win, that $45-$55 filing fee will be part of what you are awarded. So if you win your suit for $100, the other party will owe $100 plus the filing fee.

MrsWest

On the phone she said "You will not be getting paid so stop calling me" and I told her I would take her to court need be and she said "Go ahead the judge won't make me pay"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
On the phone she said "You will not be getting paid so stop calling me" and I told her I would take her to court need be and she said "Go ahead the judge won't make me pay"
The judge can give you a judgment but collection would be up to you. Unless you went to judge judy.

Just Blue

Ok if I win can I go knocking on her door and it not be considered harassment?
Perhaps...But I would suggest you seek an attorneys advice in your area to make sure.

And really consider what OhioGal said. Judge Judy...or Peoples Court...;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And she can tell you to not come back and if you did THAT would be harassment. You need to learn PROPER COLLECTION TECHNIQUES that are LEGAL.

quincy

The mom can call the police if she feels you are harassing her - but if you are awarded a judgment against the mom for the babysitting fees already earned, you have a legitimate reason for contacting her and trying to collect the judgment, as long as you stay within the law while doing so.

Collection, however, is often far harder than winning a small claims action. With a judgment you are, essentially, in the same position as you are now in trying to get her to pay. You just have a court saying you are entitled to the amount ordered.

Why, exactly, is the mom refusing to pay? Why does she believe you fell short in doing what you were hired to do? Why does she believe a judge would not make her pay?

MrsWest

The mom can call the police if she feels you are harassing her - but if you are awarded a judgment against the mom for the babysitting fees already earned, you have a legitimate reason for contacting her and trying to collect the judgment, as long as you stay within the law while doing so.

Collection, however, is often far harder than winning a small claims action. With a judgment you are, essentially, in the same position as you are now in trying to get her to pay. You just have a court saying you are entitled to the amount ordered.

Why, exactly, is the mom refusing to pay? Why does she believe you fell short in doing what you were hired to do? Why does she believe a judge would not make her pay?
I watched her child for 5 days, one day we went outside to play for about 15 minutes (75 degrees and sunny here in GA) and she said I took her child out in the cold and she got sick. But she never complained that day or any day after. The only time she complained was when it was time to pay. So she said the judge won't make her pay for 5 days of babysitting because I took her outside one day.

quincy

I watched her child for 5 days, one day we went outside to play for about 15 minutes (75 degrees and sunny here in GA) and she said I took her child out in the cold and she got sick. But she never complained that day or any day after. The only time she complained was when it was time to pay. So she said the judge won't make her pay for 5 days of babysitting because I took her outside one day.
Well that sure sounds unreasonable. :)

Whatever route you decide to take (small claims, Judge Judy, People's Court, door knocking and calls, demand letters), I wish you good luck with your collection efforts, MrsWest.

MrsWest

Well that sure sounds unreasonable. :)

Whatever route you decide to take (small claims, Judge Judy, People's Court, door knocking and calls, demand letters), I wish you good luck with your collection efforts, MrsWest.

Thanks

Anyone have any experience with garnishing wages?

quincy

Thanks

Anyone have any experience with garnishing wages?
Check out the link I provided to you earlier.

You are far from the point of even thinking of garnishing wages for the $100 owed, MrsWest. Come back here when (or if) you get a judgment.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MrsWest

Check out the line I provided to you earlier.

You are far from the point of even thinking of garnishing wages for the $100 owed, MrsWest. Come back here when (or if) you get a judgment.

Good luck.

I know I am, but I'm still deciding weather to take the case to small claims. If I win, I'm afraid I still won't get the $$ and wondering the success rate of garnishing wages

LdiJ

I know I am, but I'm still deciding weather to take the case to small claims. If I win, I'm afraid I still won't get the $$ and wondering the success rate of garnishing wages
You will be able to garnish her wages if you win a small claims case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">