• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back stabbing friend!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mango84

What is the name of your state? Georgia....

I need some serious advice! The other day a very "good friend" of mine txt me asking for $500 and in return he would write me a check for $500. He needed the cash that day and said that his check wouldn't be good until Thursday. The cash/check exchange was on Tuesday. Well, just before I decided to take it to the bank the following week, my mom decided to call his bank and find out if the check was okay because he had mentioned Tuesday that the check wouldn't be good until Thursday. The bank said that the check was no good. Two weeks later, I today find out that he closed his account. So now my check is worthless. I am a student putting myself through school and he, and older guy, knows this. My biggest fear is that he is going to run to his house in Mexico and I won't see my money. $500 is a lot to a college student. The state of his bank is in Alabama. I live in Georgia. The account that he wrote the check on was his security company business account. What do I do????? Go to small claims court?

FlyingRon

The state of his bank is in Alabama. I live in Georgia. The account that he wrote the check on was his security company business account. What do I do????? Go to small claims court?
Small claims court is the way to get a judgment against him that you might be able to collect.

The police would like to know, because intentionally writing bad checks is a crime.

MyHouse

What he did is illegal. File a police report. You may still have to go to small claims court, but the police report could be helpful in putting pressure on your so-called friend.

lizjimbo

Write him a letter of demand for payment

In Virginia in order to file civil or criminal charges you must first notify the bad check dude that he has 30 days to fix. The letter must be sent certified, return reciept. In this letter you may want to copy and paste the state law regarding bad checks. A $500.00 bad check is more than likely a felony with prison time as punishment. Tell him if payment is not made, then you will be swearing out a criminal warrant. This should get his attention. Provide him a copy, not the original, of the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">