• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backstabbed by an EX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PLeeZeHeLp

What is the name of your state? California

A few years age, I got a joint credit card w/ my now EX-boyfriend. I never charged anything on the card. However, he maxed it out $5,000. He agreed to pay for it since he had charged the card up. However, he hasn't paid a dime on it for at least a couple of years. Since then, it has gone to collections and even a lawyer's office. I am a student and currently do not have a job so I cannot afford to pay for it. I need to know if my case will be acceptable in small claims since the total is now over $5,000? I also need to know if my case stands a chance at all?

JETX

"I need to know if my case will be acceptable in small claims since the total is now over $5,000?"
*** No. That is the limit of small claims jurisdiction in California.

"I also need to know if my case stands a chance at all?"
*** Of course it does. How much of a chance depends on the claims being made, the proof of such claims, an analysis of the purchases made, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">