• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad break up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tunitfloors1

My girlfriend, maybe soon to be ex-girlfriend is threatening to take me to small claims court over a remodel in my house that she offered to pay for. To my knowledge it was not a "loan". The remodel was necessary for her and her daughter to move in with me. Since then they have been living with me rent free (approx. 14 months), only recently has she started to pitch in with a few bills. She paid for the materials and I supplied the labor was our approach. Can she take me to small claims court over this? I tried to refuse the offer but she insisted. Investing in our future is what she said but no agreement was made to pay the money back to my knowledge, she also can not prove that either.

quincy

My girlfriend, maybe soon to be ex-girlfriend is threatening to take me to small claims court over a remodel in my house that she offered to pay for. To my knowledge it was not a "loan". The remodel was necessary for her and her daughter to move in with me. Since then they have been living with me rent free (approx. 14 months), only recently has she started to pitch in with a few bills. She paid for the materials and I supplied the labor was our approach. Can she take me to small claims court over this? I tried to refuse the offer but she insisted. Investing in our future is what she said but no agreement was made to pay the money back to my knowledge, she also can not prove that either.
What is the name of your state, Tunitfloors1?

Your girlfriend can take you to court. If your girlfriend believes the money she spent on remodeling your house was a loan to you and not a gift, and if she believes that she is entitled to be paid back these costs, it could be her words against your word in court, if there is nothing in writing evidencing an agreement on who would take care of the costs.

Tunitfloors1

I live in MN. There are text messages to back up my side of it. I also have a friend who helped me with the project who saw and knows about the arrangement. Would that help me?

Tunitfloors1

Also, she definitely wants the money back now, but at the time it was a completely different story. I never once asked for her to pay for the remodel, she insisted on paying for it. I was going to take out a loan from the bank, she had cash and said she would pay for materials if I did the labor, which I did.

quincy

If you had at one time considered taking out a loan to pay for the remodeling of your house, it is probably easiest for you now to just consider your girlfriend's remodeling payments a loan rather a gift. It might be best for you to simply pay back your girlfriend the amount of money she spent on the remodeling. It is YOUR house, after all, that has benefited the most from the remodeling.

Although I am sure that both you and your girlfriend could dig up stuff to support your contrary arguments in court, there does not seem to be a good reason to prolong the dispute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">