• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Viking84

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I currently live in Iowa, but do business through the Internet and EBAY all over the country. I sold some items to a person in Kentucky, and the check he sent me bounced, and he will now not respond to phone calls or emails. I had been selling to this person for nearly 2 years, and the checks had always cleared until this last one, which was for $1300.00+.

I want to try and recover this money, but not sure how I need to go about doing it. I realize that this is a small claims court case, but want to know if I need to file it in Iowa or Kentucky. The place of business was in Iowa, but the check is written out of a Kentucky bank account. I am assuming I need to file a small claims in Iowa, and then try and pursue the money through a lien.

Let me know if I am on the right track, and I will have some follow-up questions.

ForFun

You're on the right track. Sue in IA and then domesticate the judgment in KY. Generally speaking, courts will find that the sales contract was formed in IA.

Viking84

Once I file the claim and win, what next? I am assuming he will not show up in Iowa. What do I have a right to recover? Obviously the bad check, but do I recover court cost, and any other cost associated with it?

How do I then go about domesticating it in Kentucky? I am not sure what steps I would need to take for this. Do I need to hire a lawyer, or is this something I can do myself? Thanks for any advice or information you can give me.

ForFun

You can sue for the amount of the check, plus any costs for the check bouncing, plus court costs.

You'll need to call a court in KY to find out the procedures for domesticating the judgment. It likely involves sending a certified copy to the clerk of the court.

A lawyer is probably not necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">