• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad checks crime, or crime against the elderly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lswint

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

I am a 68 year old citizen of Austin, Texas. Within the past two years, I have loaned a relative (by marriage) over $34,000 in the form of cash, checks, or payments through one of my credit cards. In repayment, 5 checks have been written and given to me or deposited into my account totaling $38,000. All checks for repayment have been returned to me as insufficient funds. The accounts the checks were written from never had the amounts available for the checks to be good. Is this a crime (against the elderly) punishable by prison time or is my only recourse to sue this individual to get some sort of justice, or possible recovery of my losses?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

I am a 68 year old citizen of Austin, Texas. Within the past two years, I have loaned a relative (by marriage) over $34,000 in the form of cash, checks, or payments through one of my credit cards. In repayment, 5 checks have been written and given to me or deposited into my account totaling $38,000. All checks for repayment have been returned to me as insufficient funds. The accounts the checks were written from never had the amounts available for the checks to be good. Is this a crime (against the elderly) punishable by prison time or is my only recourse to sue this individual to get some sort of justice, or possible recovery of my losses?
Talk to the DA. It can be a crime to knowingly write a bad check.

swalsh411

Why would you continue to "loan" money to a person who wrote you a bad check on an earlier "loan"?

Would you like to see this person go to prison?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">