• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmom63

What is the name of your state? Utah
I let my adult (26) daughter borrow my car for a couple of months. I put her on the title so she could insure it. I trusted her, we had always been close. When she new I was wanting to get it back she traded it in on a new car for herself. She acted very angry and mean when I asked her about it (of course I was very mad). She said," so what, I'm a bad person". I have the paperwork to take her to small claims court but I don't know if I have a case since I put her on the title. I do have 2 people that were with me when I bought it and know that it was mine.

fairisfair

the operative words here are "was mine."

You transferred the title to her, it was hers legally to do with as she wished. Unless you have some sort of a contract that you can prove she did not fulfill and an explaination of why you would transfer title before that fulfillment. you are out of luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What about morally?
This is a legal forum...morally...daughter kicked you in the teeth. But, legally, if you didn't use the word "AND" on the title, the she had the right to sell/transfer/trade-in the car.

fairisfair

This is a legal forum...morally...daughter kicked you in the teeth. But, legally, if you didn't use the word "AND" on the title, the she had the right to sell/transfer/trade-in the car.
Zig is right

And you didn't mention that you were still on the title, Utah form specifically ask for and or or. Which is on your registration?? Were you listed as the primary or co owner???

madmom63

The car was registered in my name. I did not have it a year so I only had the orginal reg. that was in my name only. I added her to the title later and my name was first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">