• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OTA

What is the name of your state? TX

My neighbor has threatned to sue because of injury to her dog. The story goes that she was walking her dog on a leash and my dog accidentaly got out of the house and they fought in my front yard along the side walk. The fight was quickly seperated and her dog appeared ok except for a slight limp. A few days later she let us know that she has a large vet bill ($450 plus) and growing. How should I proceed to protect my interest? What is her vs. my responsibilities?

msiron

Her dog is leased, yours not and attacks her dog .... pay the damn bill. You are responsible for your dogs actions which are most always the owners fault.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? TX

My neighbor has threatned to sue because of injury to her dog. The story goes that she was walking her dog on a leash and my dog accidentaly got out of the house and they fought in my front yard along the side walk. The fight was quickly seperated and her dog appeared ok except for a slight limp. A few days later she let us know that she has a large vet bill ($450 plus) and growing. How should I proceed to protect my interest? What is her vs. my responsibilities?
Wasn't this a Judge Judy episode?

Why should the owner of a dog that was on a leash be responsible for ANY of this?? I would really love to hear your theory.... :rolleyes:

Some Random Guy

baystategirl & BlondiePB -

what is your thoughts on the limitations of liability? Is the attacking dog's owner responsible for all medical bills, or is there some limit, such as the value of the animal, or 'reasonable' expenses.

I ask because the vet bills are growing and what happens when the other dog owner says "Well, she needed a kindey transplant, and that cost 18,000"

Just Blue

what is your thoughts on the limitations of liability? Is the attacking dog's owner responsible for all medical bills, or is there some limit, such as the value of the animal, or 'reasonable' expenses.

I ask because the vet bills are growing and what happens when the other dog owner says "Well, she needed a kindey transplant, and that cost 18,000"
I guess reasonable would be a subjective term....Personally I would not do the transplant thing:rolleyes: ...But from the OP's post the owner of the injured dog is not being unreasonable. OP can request medical documents so that he is able to verify that the expenses are indeed for the altercation and not for something unrelated that the other owner is "passing off" to OP. Also the Vet should be able to give an estimate of future needed treatment so that OP will know what is to come. OP hasn't specified what the Dog has suffered so it is hard to put a dollar amount on what is "fair"...

BlondiePB

No limits on liability. That doggie's injuries need to be taken care of for the rest of it's life. The OP needs to pay for that dog's pain and suffering too. :D

Well color me green and mow me down

Just say the cat did it. Okay, well maybe I am a little bit perturbed. My cats have run and taken all my wigs and made a tent. A Hair Tent.. Like something from the dark ages. They have even taken my Ava Gabor and Dolly wigs. I cannot believe it. I feed them; I talk to them and spend every bit of time with them ( except when the post comes) They are my life!!!

What Do they want from me? I am going to get a dog! WHHHHAAAA Get away... GO KITTIES GET AWAY!!! ARRRGG>>>...________

Call 911

ForFun

I guess reasonable would be a subjective term....Personally I would not do the transplant thing:rolleyes: ...But from the OP's post the owner of the injured dog is not being unreasonable. OP can request medical documents so that he is able to verify that the expenses are indeed for the altercation and not for something unrelated that the other owner is "passing off" to OP. Also the Vet should be able to give an estimate of future needed treatment so that OP will know what is to come. OP hasn't specified what the Dog has suffered so it is hard to put a dollar amount on what is "fair"...
Pets are generally deemed as personal property. As such, I wonder if any vet bill over the value of the dog would be unreasonable for the OP to pay? After all, if the OP smashed somebody's car, he wouldn't have to pay more in repairs than the car is worth.

Your thoughts?

Just Blue

Pets are generally deemed as personal property. As such, I wonder if any vet bill over the value of the dog would be unreasonable for the OP to pay? After all, if the OP smashed somebody's car, he wouldn't have to pay more in repairs than the car is worth.

Your thoughts?
I totally disagree...A dog is a living creature and I can't imagine any court using that criteria for establishing reasonable bills.
What if the dog was a stray that was found? There wouldn't be any "value" to this "property", therefor ANY bill would be considered unreasonable. I just don't see that happening!

ForFun

I totally disagree...A dog is a living creature and I can't imagine any court using that criteria for establishing reasonable bills.
Yes, a dog is a living creature, but aside from cruelty statutes, the law generally treats animals no different than other personal property. For example, had the OP's dog killed the other dog, the owner would have only been entitled to the monetary value of the dead dog.

Perhaps the issue needs to be researched.

fairisfair

Yes, a dog is a living creature, but aside from cruelty statutes, the law generally treats animals no different than other personal property. For example, had the OP's dog killed the other dog, the owner would have only been entitled to the monetary value of the dead dog.

Perhaps the issue needs to be researched.

Okay, let us know what you find!!!! :p ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">