• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Horse Doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

REDROAN

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MISSOURI

I AM CURRENTLY STUCK IN A SITUATUION W/ A VETERNARIAN. I HAD REQUESTED SOME SERVICES BE DONE FOR MY HORSE. WHEN THE VET CAME TO THE BARN I WAS NOT PRESENT FOR THE PROCEDURES. SIMPLE THINGS, ONE BLOOD TEST AND A VACCINE. TOTAL COST $56.50. WHEN I RECIEVED THE BILL IT WAS OVER $400 WITH ALL KINDS OF THINGS LISTED THAT THEY DID TO MY HORSE THAT I DID NOT REQUEST. THEY SEDATED HIM, THEN HE HAD COMPLICATIONS FROM THAT FROM THEM INJECTING TOO MANY DRUGS INTO HIM (WHICH COULD HAVE KILLED HIM). I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ANY OF THIS TO BE DONE. THEY HAVE NO AUTHORIZATION FORMS SIGNED BY ME. THE WOMAN THAT OWNS THE BARN IS ON MY SIDE AND AGREES THAT THE VET SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THOSE PROCEDURES. SHE TOLD THEM IF THEY WANTED TO DO THAEM THEY NEEDED TO CONTACT ME (THEY NEVER DID). I SPOKE TO THEM SEVERAL TIMES AND WROTE A LETTER AND CHECK FOR THE AMOUNT OF $56.50 AND WROTE IN THE MEMO "PAID IN FULL". THEY CASHED THE CHECK AND THEN SENT ME TO COLLECTIONS. THEY WILL NOT REMOVE THE CHARGES AND THE VET THAT WORKED ON MY HORSE IS NO LONGER WITH THE VETERINARY CLINIC. DO I TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS? I'M NOT PAYING FOR THOSE SERVICES.

dequeendistress

Dang, $56.00 for vet services and a farm call....I am in the wrong state!!!!

Since you were not there, do you know if the horse reacted in such a manner that the vet HAD to sedate him for the vets or the horses safety. I will go ahead and assume that this was for maybe a coggins test---Like I said $56.00 for a vet call/blood work and vaccination is a sweet deal----

Your only recourse would be small claims, possibly as the defendant. (by the way stop yelling)

Last edited:

REDROAN

YES IT WAS FOR A COGGINS AND WEST NILE BOOSTER. (CHEAP CAUSE FARM CALL WAS SHARED) THE SEDATION WAS DONE IN ORDER FOR THEM TO DO OTHER SERVICES (i.e. FLOAT TEETH, CLEAN SHEATH, THAT SORT OF THING) THIS STUFF I DID NOT WANT DONE NOR DID I REQUEST. THEY ALSO GAVE HIM HIS 5 WAY VACCINE WHEN I HAD DONE LESS THAN 3 WKS BEFORE (THEY KNEW THAT). HE REACTED DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF SEDATION THEY GAVE HIM AND THEY TOLD ME POSSIBLY BECAUSE HE WAS VACCINATED TWICE. NOW IF I GO TO SMALL CLAIMS DO I GO AFTER THE DOCTOR WHO OWNS THE CLINIC SINCE THE VET THAT MADE THE CALL NO LONGER WORKS THERE? THE OWNER REFUSES TO RETURN MY PHONE CALLS AND WON'T SPEAK TO ME WHEN HE IS IN THE OFFICE.

rmet4nzkx

Please take your caps lock off, that is shouting.

Pay the bill, you don't have a case against the VET, you should have attempted to get your bill adjusted rather than paying a partial payment and marking the bill, "Paid in full".

Perhaps if you were there you could have said or done something, the only case you have if any, is against your agent, the woman who owns the barn who is giving you incorrect legal advice.

REDROAN

Sorry bout the caps.

I had tried to get the bill adjusted. I spoke to the vet's office and they said they didn't know what was going on because they fired the vet that did the work and they needed to speak to my barn owner. After speaking to the owner they told me they would adjust the bill that's why I sent the check. After they cashed it they then turned around and sent me to collections. I have been fighting this for over a year now. I have kept all the paperwork that has been sent back and forth and records of phone logs between us.

dequeendistress

I am going to ask the obvious: You don't have anything in writing from the agency that they are forgiving the other charges, do you?

rmet4nzkx

REDROAN said:
Sorry bout the caps.

I had tried to get the bill adjusted. I spoke to the vet's office and they said they didn't know what was going on because they fired the vet that did the work and they needed to speak to my barn owner. After speaking to the owner they told me they would adjust the bill that's why I sent the check. After they cashed it they then turned around and sent me to collections. I have been fighting this for over a year now. I have kept all the paperwork that has been sent back and forth and records of phone logs between us.
When you say that they would adjust the bill, what figure did you arrive at? Is that in writing? Is that what you paid? I have a feeling you are relying on the advice of the barn owner a bit too much because you are leaving out critical facts. If this was just a misunderstanding, you should have had it resolved.

REDROAN

Unfortunatly no I don't have the agreement in writing. I haven't been depending on what the owner of the barn has been saying, I have been relying on what the vet's office has been saying. Dang these horses!! Love them but what a pain!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">