• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad House Sitter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bereit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

A house sitter left the hose on for 3 hours and caused damage to a neighbor's basement via window well. He is not making a claim against his home owner's insurance, I can only assume because he doesn't want his premium to go up. Instead he is filing a small claims suit against me. I was out of state during the time of the incident. I am liable for the damages? I say no because the damage was not a result of a broken pipe but rather a negligent act by an individual other than my wife or I. Please advise. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts!

LdiJ

A house sitter left the hose on for 3 hours and caused damage to a neighbor's basement via window well. He is not making a claim against his home owner's insurance, I can only assume because he doesn't want his premium to go up. Instead he is filing a small claims suit against me. I was out of state during the time of the incident. I am liable for the damages? I say no because the damage was not a result of a broken pipe but rather a negligent act by an individual other than my wife or I. Please advise. Thank you in advance for your time and efforts!
You really need to turn this into YOUR homeowner's insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The house sitter was at your house? Then you are responsible. It was their negligence as your agent that resulted in your neighbor's damages. Why don't you think YOUR insurance should cover it? Or you personally?

Bereit

The house sitter was at your house? Then you are responsible. It was their negligence as your agent that resulted in your neighbor's damages. Why don't you think YOUR insurance should cover it? Or you personally?
First, they were dog sitting more than house sitting, not that it changes much.

I don't believe I am responsible because I was 1,000 miles away and physically could not have acted negligent and/or caused the damage. If a pipe broke on the property, then I would take responsibility. However, her actions led to the damages. If she does not turn on the water, there is no damage. How am I responsible for the actions of another adult, not living in the residence? If she throws a baseball through his window, I am not liable. So how is this any different? It was my baseball, just like it was my water. We are not an organization , thus how is she an agent for me? She can not legally accept certified mail for me.

Silverplum

First, they were dog sitting more than house sitting, not that it changes much.

I don't believe I am responsible because I was 1,000 miles away and physically could not have acted negligent and/or caused the damage. If a pipe broke on the property, then I would take responsibility. However, her actions led to the damages. If she does not turn on the water, there is no damage. How am I responsible for the actions of another adult, not living in the residence? If she throws a baseball through his window, I am not liable. So how is this any different? It was my baseball, just like it was my water. We are not an organization , thus how is she an agent for me? She can not legally accept certified mail for me.
You may believe whatever you like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">