• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toriann24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I had my car towed to a mechanics shop on 2/9 needing a new transmission. The owner had a used one for $600 but I had found one for $400 so he agreed to put that one in, but would not guarantee it. Upon completion, the car still did not run. Again, he said if we bought his transmission he would guarantee the job. I lost the money on the labor, but got money back on the first transmission. So I agreed to buy his and he started the work a second time with a second labor charge, which I understand. I picked it up on 2/25 and the next morning it broke down on the way to work. He had it towed and was again going to fix it. He originally told me he was rebuilding his transmission that he guaranteed, but when I had not heard anything from him in over two weeks my mom called and spoke with him. He told her he was not rebuilding the transmission, that would involve more money. He asked her if we wanted to spend more money and she said no, we just wanted the guranteed job done. He said the only way to not spend more money was for him to find another used transmission from a junk yard and put it in. Around March 17th my mom called him again and he said it would be ready the next Monday. On Wednesday March, 23rd she called again and at that time he advised that the car was fixed, but it would now cost an additional $100. She protested and said that I had a paid receipt for a job that was never completed but he said he would not release the car until I had paid another $100. My boyfriend went down there also to talk to him, but it was still the same thng. I have paid the money and now have my car but I think it was wrong. I filed a complaint with the BBB but the owner ignored it. I want to take him to court to get my $100 dollars back. I know its not a huge amount of money but I work for every dime I have and I can't afford to have it taken for no reason. He wasn't able to provide a reason for charging the extra money.

Do you think I have a good reason to sue for my money back? I have reciepts for everything I paid him for. We both signed them.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I had my car towed to a mechanics shop on 2/9 needing a new transmission. The owner had a used one for $600 but I had found one for $400 so he agreed to put that one in, but would not guarantee it. Upon completion, the car still did not run. Again, he said if we bought his transmission he would guarantee the job. I lost the money on the labor, but got money back on the first transmission. So I agreed to buy his and he started the work a second time with a second labor charge, which I understand. I picked it up on 2/25 and the next morning it broke down on the way to work. He had it towed and was again going to fix it. He originally told me he was rebuilding his transmission that he guaranteed, but when I had not heard anything from him in over two weeks my mom called and spoke with him. He told her he was not rebuilding the transmission, that would involve more money. He asked her if we wanted to spend more money and she said no, we just wanted the guranteed job done. He said the only way to not spend more money was for him to find another used transmission from a junk yard and put it in. Around March 17th my mom called him again and he said it would be ready the next Monday. On Wednesday March, 23rd she called again and at that time he advised that the car was fixed, but it would now cost an additional $100. She protested and said that I had a paid receipt for a job that was never completed but he said he would not release the car until I had paid another $100. My boyfriend went down there also to talk to him, but it was still the same thng. I have paid the money and now have my car but I think it was wrong. I filed a complaint with the BBB but the owner ignored it. I want to take him to court to get my $100 dollars back. I know its not a huge amount of money but I work for every dime I have and I can't afford to have it taken for no reason. He wasn't able to provide a reason for charging the extra money. Do you think I have a good reason to sue for my money back? I have reciepts for everything I paid him for. We both signed them.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Was the labor a flat out agreed upon charge or an estimated amount ?

Were there added parts needed that weren't included the the original charge ?

Unless he was a member of the BBB and wanted to keep good standing , the BBB isn't the place to complain to.

Last edited:

toriann24

It was a flat agreed upon charge, in fact, I paid the bill the first time I got it back. (that was before his transmission broke less then 24 hours after I got my car back) It was a total of $850, $600 for the transmission and $350 for labor. It was clearly specified on the reciept.

If there were added parts, they were not listed on the reciept nor was I informed about them.

That is what I was advised to do, I figured it couldn't hurt.

BL

It was a flat agreed upon charge, in fact, I paid the bill the first time I got it back. (that was before his transmission broke less then 24 hours after I got my car back) It was a total of $850, $600 for the transmission and $350 for labor. It was clearly specified on the reciept.

If there were added parts, they were not listed on the reciept nor was I informed about them.

That is what I was advised to do, I figured it couldn't hurt.
Then take it to court if you feel you were overcharged and had to pay the extra to retrieve the vehicle .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">