• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad painters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil'one

What is the name of your state? Washington
I had a walk around with an individual who said her company would paint, clean, and remove all fixtures and such prior to painting and put them back on when finished. Price is negotiable and walk around when finished with job prior to last payment. they painted a horrible job, got paint on places thy shouldn't have and not enough on where it should, as we showed them they said it would be fixed but it never did and dismissed us as being nit picky. She pressed for last payment prior to job being finished. she said she couldn't see nothing wrong with paint and could come back to fix it. We didn't even want them back because places they tried fixing looked worse than before. Not to mention, if she didn't see something wrong, how would it get fixed appropriately. We cut her $200 short from actual payment, she kept our garage remote and when called on, she said she'd stick it in mail and I couldn't go pick it up. I stopped payment on check, now 1wk. later she drops off remote and sat out in her car honking in the middle of the street. I didn't go out because she stated to me on our last conversation she didn't want to speak with me anymore so I was looking for legal advice at the time and didn't think I should be speaking with her either. It was also not the right way to return someones stuff if they relly were professionals. Do I have right to sue for unfinished, unsatisfactory work or to not pay the second check? If she decides to sue me, do I have a case to countersue?

Last edited:

lwpat

Do I have right to sue for work undone or to not pay the second check
What does your contract say?

I know, you didn't have one, failed to get any references, and didn't even ask for a copy of insurance and also failed to see if they were licensed. That is why you are having this problem. You pay for what you get.

You may have a problem with the stopped check and it will just depend on what they decide to do. Why did you not go out, it is your driveway? Make a detailed list of the corrections and send it to them CRRR and give a time limit. If they do not return have another contractor, at least two, give you a written estimate and then have one of them finish the work. Then sue for the difference.

Check to see if any type of city,county,state license was required and if they have the license. Next time do the agreement properly.

lil'one

lwpat said:
What does your contract say?

I know, you didn't have one, failed to get any references, and didn't even ask for a copy of insurance and also failed to see if they were licensed. That is why you are having this problem. You pay for what you get.

You may have a problem with the stopped check and it will just depend on what they decide to do. Why did you not go out, it is your driveway? Make a detailed list of the corrections and send it to them CRRR and give a time limit. If they do not return have another contractor, at least two, give you a written estimate and then have one of them finish the work. Then sue for the difference.

Check to see if any type of city,county,state license was required and if they have the license. Next time do the agreement properly.
I was referred tothem by their pastor who is a customer of my husbands. He claime they wre great. When we asked if they were licensed, she handed us a busines card. I called L&I to check and they are licensed but ork like some amatuers.
They gave us a written quote which states everything they were supposed to do and are now calling it a contract.
What is CRRR and what type of time limit should I be giving them, to come back and fix the place, no way. They're already disgruntled. They might really mess the place up.

BL

lil'one said:
I was referred tothem by their pastor who is a customer of my husbands. He claime they wre great. When we asked if they were licensed, she handed us a busines card. I called L&I to check and they are licensed but ork like some amatuers.
They gave us a written quote which states everything they were supposed to do and are now calling it a contract.
What is CRRR and what type of time limit should I be giving them, to come back and fix the place, no way. They're already disgruntled. They might really mess the place up.
Certified Return Reply Letter through the Post Office . You must a Least give them that written request in the mail to rectify the issue(s) .

If they fail to respond within 10 business Days ( state that in your Letter ) , you will have no choice but to get estimates and take them to Court . Keep a copy of the Letter . If they except you will get a return card .( keep it for records ). If The Certified Letter is returned to yo , do not open it . Take it to Court showing you tried .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">