• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Renters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cstone12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My renters left a badly damaged house and back rent. $4600.00. Husband has agreed to make monthly payments for half. We have a contract to that effect. The husband and wife are getting a divorce this month. Can I file for half of the 4600.00 plus fees against the wife or should I file for the full amount against them both and just not try to collect anything from the husband if he makes his payments?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My renters left a badly damaged house and back rent. $4600.00. Husband has agreed to make monthly payments for half. We have a contract to that effect. The husband and wife are getting a divorce this month. Can I file for half of the 4600.00 plus fees against the wife or should I file for the full amount against them both and just not try to collect anything from the husband if he makes his payments?
Who was on the lease? Their divorce is NOT your concern. You should sue all those people who signed on the lease to be responsible. If the wife didn't sign the lease then she is technically not responsible for anything.

tranquility

Husband has agreed to make monthly payments for half. We have a contract to that effect.
I agree with Ohiogal as a general proposition. Sue all on the lease for the full amount. Renting property needs to be treated as a business. Those who don't always wonder why they have so many problems.

However, here we may have a problem. What was the contract for? The OP may have just traded away any rights he has to the damage compensation in return for a promise to pay half in monthly payments. More facts would be needed about the lease and the purported contract before the best course is known.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree with Ohiogal as a general proposition. Sue all on the lease for the full amount. Renting property needs to be treated as a business. Those who don't always wonder why they have so many problems.

However, here we may have a problem. What was the contract for? The OP may have just traded away any rights he has to the damage compensation in return for a promise to pay half in monthly payments. More facts would be needed about the lease and the purported contract before the best course is known.
True. The wording of the contract is very important. I shouldn't have skimmed over that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">