• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail Bond Owed to Friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brown_fern

Hi,

My state: California.

Here is the situation. About a year ago my brother asked a friend to bail him out of jail. The friend agreed. My brother was to pay back the bail amount due on the account. My brother made some initial lump payments to the bail bond account. The account was never paid in full. There was a balance of about $1295 owed. My brother's friend was sent to collections. They paid the balance but wanted to be paid the $1295.

The friend trying to insure that they would be paid decide to confiscate some items from my brother's barn. (I should point out that this was done with out the consent from my brother). They literally let themselves in to my brother's barn and took all that they wanted. Later they made an attempt to contact us (my brother's family) around May 2006.

My brother then went back to jail. I then proceeded to make arrangements to pay the amount owed to the friend. Almost a year later I was able to come up with the money. I went the the friend's house and told them that I was there to settle this situaiton. To my surprise they had sold the stove. The stove which was brand new with all the documentation and was bought for $600. When we tried to come to an agreement they wanted to subtract $150 from the balance owed to retain all the other items. I tried to negotiate with them and told them that we should subtract $300 since it was a brand new $600 stove. They did not agree. I asked if they could get the stove back (which they claim they sold 3 weeks ago). They did not want to because its to embarassing (???). They are trying to play hard ball. (With friend's like this who needs enemies) I know that they are trying to get as much as they can from this situation. I want them and I to get what we are entitled to. Here are my questions.

1a. By letting themselves into my brother's barn and confiscating these multiple items could this be considered theft?

1b. If #1 is true wouldn't the sell of the stove be considered the sale of a stole item?

2. What would be the most likely ruling in a case like this?

3. What type of lawyer should I consult for advise?

seniorjudge

1a. By letting themselves into my brother's barn and confiscating these multiple items could this be considered theft?

A: Sounds like stealing to me.

1b. If #1 is true wouldn't the sell of the stove be considered the sale of a stole item?

A: Sounds like selling stolen goods to me.

2. What would be the most likely ruling in a case like this?

A: I wouldn't have a clue.

3. What type of lawyer should I consult for advise?

A: If your brother thinks someone owes him money, sue the bad people in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">