• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank was deceptive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djkoko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

On 8-24-11 I was balance my checking account (which I do Daily) and noticed the was a deposit of $377 in my account. It did not say what it was from or what it was other than a deposit. I immediately went to the bank and ask to speak to someone on the matter. I sat down with an assistant and we told her to see what this was if maybe it was a refunded deposit from and old utility account or whatever it was. We also told her if it was NOT ours to please remove it from our account. After she made several phone calls she told us she would investigate and let us know when she found out. I stated that I would NOT spend the money in the case that it was not our and it I didn't want to have to go through the issue of having it reserved out at another time. My wife called about 3 days later and still no answer. AGAIN we told her the money is in the account and we would not touch it until we knew it was ours. On 9-1-11 my wife get a call from the bank (I have the phone records of the incoming call) and she told my wife after investigating it, they had determined it WAS OUR MONEY. My wife also asked "are you 100% sure?" and she replied "Yes, it's yours you can do what you like with it." Again my wife ask "You are 100% positive it is ours?" once again she said "Yes it is". I have the bank records to match the phone call to see that the money was NOT TOUCHED until the call was made to us.

29 days later on 9-29-11 I had balance my account (always in the morning) and knew we had $185 remaining with direct deposits from work going in on 9-30-2011. I was planning on saving $175 of the $185 for my cell phone bill that was due so I knew I could spend $10 that day. I went to the store to buy a $4 item and my card gets declined. I thought it was strange so I tried again. Declined again. I looked at my banks App and saw the $377 was removed from my account that afternoon which put my account $192 in the red! We drove to the branch bank straight from the store. We explained to the lady hat was going on and she had no answer for us. She got the bank VP and he told us the lady who was dealing with us originally was on a "Long Leave Of Absence" and that he didn't hear the conversation. He also told us without looking anything up that "obviously it wasn't our money and he couldn't do anything else but he would refund us the 2 overdrafts" (which one was the $377 they took out). I told him "Listen, we came in here on 8-24 to find out answers to this and your person called us and told us it was ours. I would NOT have spent a dime of that money if it wasn't ours. That is why we came in here on 8-24 to get it figured out!" He proceeded to tell us "She would never tell you something like that". I ask "are you calling my wife a liar now" and the reply was "No, but I didn't hear the conversation and she is not here and will not be back for an extended time"

My biggest irk is they are saying she didn't call, didn't tell us anything and tell us this when we have the records to prove it. WHY would a bank rep call her and tell us it's not your money and then leave it there for 29 days! We would have told them to remove it right away!

I more upset this put us into a hole (we live check to check) that's hard to dig out of after we went to the bank and asked for resolution from the beginning. Now they lay the blame on us when it was clearly their error and we are the one suffering now.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

On 8-24-11 I was balance my checking account (which I do Daily) and noticed the was a deposit of $377 in my account. It did not say what it was from or what it was other than a deposit. I immediately went to the bank and ask to speak to someone on the matter. I sat down with an assistant and we told her to see what this was if maybe it was a refunded deposit from and old utility account or whatever it was. We also told her if it was NOT ours to please remove it from our account. After she made several phone calls she told us she would investigate and let us know when she found out. I stated that I would NOT spend the money in the case that it was not our and it I didn't want to have to go through the issue of having it reserved out at another time. My wife called about 3 days later and still no answer. AGAIN we told her the money is in the account and we would not touch it until we knew it was ours. On 9-1-11 my wife get a call from the bank (I have the phone records of the incoming call) and she told my wife after investigating it, they had determined it WAS OUR MONEY. My wife also asked "are you 100% sure?" and she replied "Yes, it's yours you can do what you like with it." Again my wife ask "You are 100% positive it is ours?" once again she said "Yes it is". I have the bank records to match the phone call to see that the money was NOT TOUCHED until the call was made to us.

29 days later on 9-29-11 I had balance my account (always in the morning) and knew we had $185 remaining with direct deposits from work going in on 9-30-2011. I was planning on saving $175 of the $185 for my cell phone bill that was due so I knew I could spend $10 that day. I went to the store to buy a $4 item and my card gets declined. I thought it was strange so I tried again. Declined again. I looked at my banks App and saw the $377 was removed from my account that afternoon which put my account $192 in the red! We drove to the branch bank straight from the store. We explained to the lady hat was going on and she had no answer for us. She got the bank VP and he told us the lady who was dealing with us originally was on a "Long Leave Of Absence" and that he didn't hear the conversation. He also told us without looking anything up that "obviously it wasn't our money and he couldn't do anything else but he would refund us the 2 overdrafts" (which one was the $377 they took out). I told him "Listen, we came in here on 8-24 to find out answers to this and your person called us and told us it was ours. I would NOT have spent a dime of that money if it wasn't ours. That is why we came in here on 8-24 to get it figured out!" He proceeded to tell us "She would never tell you something like that". I ask "are you calling my wife a liar now" and the reply was "No, but I didn't hear the conversation and she is not here and will not be back for an extended time"

My biggest irk is they are saying she didn't call, didn't tell us anything and tell us this when we have the records to prove it. WHY would a bank rep call her and tell us it's not your money and then leave it there for 29 days! We would have told them to remove it right away!

I more upset this put us into a hole (we live check to check) that's hard to dig out of after we went to the bank and asked for resolution from the beginning. Now they lay the blame on us when it was clearly their error and we are the one suffering now.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So, if it was your money to begin with, you should have known the source ~ where did the money come from?

I'm sorry but I don't see how the bank is responsible when they corrected an error.

djkoko

We have moved several times in the last 6 years and there are times deposits (for utilities) are credited back to your bank account. It said NOTHING but 8-24 Deposit. I asked if that's what it was and they had NO ANSWER. I told them I WOULD NOT (and we did not) spend a dime of it until we knew what it was and if it was ours. They researched it and told us it WAS DEFINITELY OURS. If they told us it wasn't we wouldn't have spent it. How are they not responsible for their errors? Not only the deposit error but the person calling us and telling us it WAS OURS?

Antigone*

We have moved several times in the last 6 years and there are times deposits (for utilities) are credited back to your bank account. It said NOTHING but 8-24 Deposit. I asked if that's what it was and they had NO ANSWER. I told them I WOULD NOT (and we did not) spend a dime of it until we knew what it was and if it was ours. They researched it and told us it WAS DEFINITELY OURS. If they told us it wasn't we wouldn't have spent it. How are they not responsible for their errors? Not only the deposit error but the person calling us and telling us it WAS OURS?
How many other overdrafts have you had in the past 12 months?

djkoko

None, zero, Zilch. Like I said I balance and Budget daily. I almost know the balance to the penny every second of the day.

Antigone*

None, zero, Zilch. Like I said I balance and Budget daily. I almost know the balance to the penny every second of the day.
There is no error by the bank, however, if you have had no overdrafts in the past year, I'd ask to have the fees reversed as a courtsey.

djkoko

Zigner - no not really. That is why I went to the bank to find out. I knew if it wasn't ours it would be removed from our account and I didn't want that surprise which is what unfortunately happened anyways.

A of G - They did refund my overdrafts. Yesterday they charged me $14 for a Service fee which only happens if the account goes below $100 which this ordeal did. They refunded me that too. The NEW VP which we talked to yesterday told us there's no way we could create a story like that if it wasn't true. He also told us he would have been able to find out what that money was in a matter of 10 minutes and there would have been no issues.

Really frustrating since I have NEVER had a problem with this bank before. Always been real satisfied with them. (TD Bank by the way)

Antigone*

Zigner - no not really. That is why I went to the bank to find out. I knew if it wasn't ours it would be removed from our account and I didn't want that surprise which is what unfortunately happened anyways.

A of G - They did refund my overdrafts. Yesterday they charged me $14 for a Service fee which only happens if the account goes below $100 which this ordeal did. They refunded me that too. The NEW VP which we talked to yesterday told us there's no way we could create a story like that if it wasn't true. He also told us he would have been able to find out what that money was in a matter of 10 minutes and there would have been no issues.

Really frustrating since I have NEVER had a problem with this bank before. Always been real satisfied with them. (TD Bank by the way)
So you have been made whole ~ what else do you want???

OHRoadwarrior

They could have determined where it came from, not what it was. You knew it was likely not your money. The error was corrected. You should not have spent it.

swalsh411

I've had accounts with multiple banks and there is always at least some sort of description next to any deposit. Did you even look at the description for this mystery money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">