• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phylliscausey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Texas. Someone I know has had access to my bank atm and deposited a check that did not clear. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

not sure what the problem is. If the check didn't clear, it just means the money isn't in your account. There are no legal implications for you simply because of the bad check.

Now, of course, if you wrote checks without knowing how much money was actually in your account and not simple pending, that changes things. So, what's the story?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Texas. Someone I know has had access to my bank atm and deposited a check that did not clear. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Please elaborate on how that happened. How did they get your PIN number? do you know these people? If they merely deposited a check that did not clear, then you shouldn't have any problems. Now, if they withdrew the money YOU have a problem. Not the bank. Sue your friend.

Antigone*

not sure what the problem is. If the check didn't clear, it just means the money isn't in your account. There are no legal implications for you simply because of the bad check.

Now, of course, if you wrote checks without knowing how much money was actually in your account and not simple pending, that changes things. So, what's the story?
Just, this one I can't wait to hear;)

sandyclaus

Sounds to me like the person she knows deposited a rubber check (or a fake one), and subsequently withdrew funds against the check, counting on that check clearing. OP had to have had sufficient funds in their account at the time of the withdrawal for the person to withdraw the funds.

Sounds to me like the problem is between you and this person you know. If it was a personal check they deposited, then you could going to the bank where the check was drawn to see if the account is still open and whether or not there are funds to cover the check now. If not, you will have to take up the issue with that person, maybe even contacting police to report the passing of the bad check (per Texas Penal Code section 32.41
Texas Penal Code - Section 32.41. Issuance Of Bad Check - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws
and perhaps filing suit against them to recover the overdraft funds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">