• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Garnishment Fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lobelia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am a new user to this site, so my apologies for any errors I make. I won my small claims suit in the State of Oregon. However, the defendant lives in Hawaii and now I am trying to serve a bank garnishment on his bank there. I have connected with a process server in Honolulu to serve the papers. I am trying to determine if the bank (First Hawaiian) has a bank fee they charge to do a search. I have called the bank several times and the last time, after being transferred several times, I was told the fee is $95. I don't feel confident that the person I spoke with actually knew what I was talking about. The $95 fee seems high because in Oregon the fee is only $10. Does anyone know if that amount is in the ballpark?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer. I feel like I am flying blind.

cj

Last edited:

Lobelia

Thank you Wirelessany1 for your reply. :)

I understand that the fees are legal. Does anyone have any specific knowledge about the bank fees in Hawaii?

JETX

I won my small claims suit in the State of Oregon. However, the defendant lives in Hawaii and now I am trying to serve a bank garnishment on his bank there.
You don't say WHERE the bank garnishment documents you are trying to serve are from... but if they are from the Oregon court, they are USELESS in Hawaii. You will have to domesticate the Oregon judgment into his 'asset state' (Hawaii) and have the Hawaii court issue a 'Writ of Garnishment' on the Hawaii bank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">