• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bass Amplifier Being Held Hostage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cstrosser

What is the name of your state? PA

A few months ago, I was part of a band with three friends whom I met during high school. We played one show together and were preparing for a second when I began missing practices. I was unable to meet their expectations, so I was booted from the band. My bass amplifier, which is valued at around $380, was kept at Person A's home for practicing. A few weeks after I was officially kicked out, I began my mission to retrieve my bass amplifier. I left messages, talked to the guys in the band, and called cellular phones with no luck. At this moment in time, I regret to state that my mission has been a failure. I still do not have my property in my possession.

I attempted calling the guys today. First, I called Person A's home, only got a busy signal. I then called Person B's home and talked to Person B's little brother. I got the telephone number for Person C's house and then called there. Person C answered the phone, said hello, pretended not to hear me and hung up again. I could hear them practicing in the background. I tried calling back twice and on the second try, I left a message stating that I would be around to pick up my bass amp in the near future. After that, I called Person A's house again and tried to leave a message but was cut off and returned to a dial tone unusually fast. I called back and left a very short message stating I needed my amp back.

After that, I figured that the best thing to do might be to speak with Person B's parents, because I had known them a little and had some respect from them. Well, I called Person B's home and "Bob" answered. I tried asking for him or his parents but "Bob" played dumb. I actually went and explained the entire story to him. He told me that he could not help me and said something about bringing chickens and turkeys along with me (obviously mocking me). I told him I'd be by to pick it up soon and hung up the phone. I cannot believe people will act that immature. They are trying to con me out of my bass amp and I don't want to let them do that. What can I do?

(Note: I plan on going to their homes tomorrow and politely asking for my amp. back with one person to act as a witness.)

JETX

cstrosser said:
What can I do?
Your options as I see them:
1) Contact the police and see if they will take a theft or conversion report on their refusal to return your property. Or, if you can POSITIVELY prove the item is yours (bill of sale, etc.) and if you know where the amp is, ask the police to go with you to recover your property.
2) If neither of the above works, you can consider filing a lawsuit, naming all of them, for the value of the used amp.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">