• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Before I file at small claims (is this email proof enough that my boss owes me money)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcindc

What is the name of your state? Va, fileing in arlington

To whom it may concern

I am filing against an old boss, he is keeping a small amount of money from me, and has been giving me the run around. I have an email inwhich he states he owes me money (posted below) if I use this email and use another email inwhich he posts his name/signs his name, will this be enough proof that he owes me money (in other words can I win my case?) he owes me only the 150. He did pay the 250 but the check bounced. I was able to get that money but not the 150. Do I have a chance?

here's the email

How is it 435?

I owe you 250.00

Plus 150.00

I will pay your 250 by the end of the week.

I will pay your 150 the following week.

This is effecting our costs and to be honest we are not making enough money at the party's right now to be dishing out all these fees for pictures.

We were hoping if we could pay you 25.00 an hour?

BL

Anyone could type that up, and we don't know what the heck pictures and 25 $$s per hr . mean.

Where i learned addition , 250 plus 150 = 400

S

seniorjudge

Try it. You will never know till you try it.

Post back with results.

abcindc

sorry i forgot to explain in the previouse email i told him he owed me 185, which is the $35 that is missing. he is arguing he only owes me 150.

ignore the $25/hour. I worked as a photographer, so that's the whole refrence to pictures

If i show that these are emails comming from his account (showing other emails that have his name signed or his address posted, whatever) won't that show that is his email address and that it is him claiming he owes me money?

S

seniorjudge

"...If i show that these are emails comming from his account (showing other emails that have his name signed or his address posted, whatever) won't that show that is his email address and that it is him claiming he owes me money?..."

No one can answer that for sure.

E-mails are quite easily faked.

abcindc

so what is the best way of going about this.

i was just looking through our emails. We talked back and forth withen minutes apart... so like for example he'll have his name signed at the bottom of one email and have a question or i'lll have a question and in the next email he might not have his name in it but he's answering the question and maybe a minute has gone by between emails... 5 minutes max. so by having a conversation back and forth in emails (some with his name on them) does that prove that we were conversing through email and this is what he agreed to?

Also his business cards have the posted email address (the one has has been corresponding through) and he is the owner of the business. So as the owner isn't he held responsible?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Go to court with the e-mails.

As I said, e-mails are very easily faked.

A printed copy of any e-mail is probably worthless.

But, try it and let us know how it turns out, okay?

S

seniorjudge

abcindc said:
well i'm not going to file unless i have a good shot

so do i?
I do not think you have a good shot because there is no way you can prove that a piece of paper you have in your hand is a printout of an e-mail.

Consider this -

A thin, very long thin stick, perfectly balanced in the perfect middle by a sharp-pointed object. Placed one foot above the ground.

What ever-so-slight weight such as a feather, could you place on one end, that would make that thin stick tilt towards the earth?

That is called a "preponderance of the evidence".

Your boss places a feather on his end of that stick, you, your feathers on the other end. The one who gets the stick to tilt, wins.

S

seniorjudge

Florid-aise said:
...A thin, very long thin stick etc. ...
I like this.

In fact, I love it.

In double fact, I plan on stealing it soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">