• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being harassed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynb341

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS
We started a contract to buy our home in Sept 2003. Everything has gone smoothly and now our homeowner is doing everything in her power to get rid of us because we are half done paying for the home. She tried to have us evicted for non-payment of rent and having no home owners insurance. However, we have proof that we are paid up and have ins. So now she called my "13" yr. old son and said that she was coming into the house for an inspection. She told him she is bringing the sheriff, to have our dogs restrained, and "DO NOT Call her with questions." Can she do that? Doesn't she have to talk to an adult in the house? I had plans to be gone already on that day. We live in a very small town and have already talked to every attorney in this town. She has used them all. We also talked to the previous tenants. She did the exact same thing to them and they are pretty elderly. It's obvious what's going on. We just don't know what to do. She has never, ever had a problem with us. We always paid our bill around the 5th - 10th of the month and so we don't know what to think. Do I have to be here? Can the sheriff come in my house without me here? Is any of this right? This is causing me a great deal of stress especially to think we could lose our house. We were planning on paying it off in April at tax time but I am scared to death that she is going to be able to get rid of us before then. We have remodeled our bathroom and replaced a lot of old things but I have two (2) ceiling fans that need replacing or repaired and I can't afford to do it before Monday. Am I screwed? To put it bluntly.

JETX

lynb341 said:
She told him she is bringing the sheriff, to have our dogs restrained, and "DO NOT Call her with questions." Can she do that?
Generally, a landlord may enter a tenant's unit only with the tenant's consent, except in an emergency. After a tenant has given notice of termination, a landlord has the right to enter the unit to show it to prospective renters. A landlord also may enter for a "reasonable business purpose," such as maintenance, only after giving the tenant reasonable notice. If a landlord fails to get permission or give notice, the landlord is trespassing and may be sued. The tenant whose privacy rights have been violated may recover damages.

We just don't know what to do.
Seems pretty simple to me. You need to read and UNDERSTAND your state landlord-tenant law to learn your RIGHTS as a tenant.
They can be found in 765 ILCS 705 et seq at: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs2.asp?ChapterID=62

We always paid our bill around the 5th - 10th of the month and so we don't know what to think.
What is the EXACT due date for your rent?? If it is the 5th with a 5 day 'grace period', your payment on or after the 6th is late and overdue!! In order to protect yourself, you need to make sure payment is made on or BEFORE the due date.

Do I have to be here? Can the sheriff come in my house without me here? Is any of this right?
Yes. Yes. No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">