• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being harassed...is this a valid request?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhowe

The state in question is New Hampshire (I currently live in California).

A few years ago, I met a girl who had driven to Los Angeles, CA from New Hampshire. She had no stable place to live and was oblivious to the fact that it is extremely dangerous to ask random people in Los Angeles for a place to stay, so I ended up providing for her for a couple of months in San Diego. I ended up proposing to her, which immediately after she had requested that we move back to her home state of New Hampshire as she was home sick. I agreed (even though I had lived in San Diego my entire life). I had financially provided for her while in San Diego as well as the trip back to New Hampshire, towing her car behind my SUV. We had arranged to stay in a side wing of her mother's house for a short time while I found a job and a steady income, however I ran into some financial troubles when there was absolutely nothing out there for a guy in the IT business in New Hampshire. So, I fell behind in my car payments. Her mother had loaned me the $800 needed, which I have paid back.

Now, the mother is threatening me with saying that her lawyer (which she hired for an auto accident case) told her to tell me that there is no statute of limitations in NH, as if that for some reason would scare me into thinking she could somehow get money from me. She's saying I still owe her $675 of a total $1500 (which included the $800 loan and the full utility costs of her house while I was there). The original -verbal- agreement was that I pay half the utility costs. To date, I have paid her $1100, which covers the loan and half of the utility costs.

Nothing was ever put in writing, it was all verbal, which I have held up on my end.

What, if anything, does she have that she could legally use against me for getting the remaining $675 that she feels I owe?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">