• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being strong-armed into small claims. Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lubi_wife

What is the name of your state? NJ

I volunteered for an animal rescue org and one of the animals I was watching became sick. I called a member of the org's board who told me to take the animal to a specific vet. This vet performed a DNA test as part of his diagnosis. For payment, the org's Board Member gave the org credit card number to the vet over the phone, authorized the charges, and then made me sign on behalf of the organization. The rescue org is now trying to make me pay them for the DNA test the vet performed and threatening small claims court. Where can I turn to find info to represent myself (case law, other law, etc). Thanks.

Last edited:

justalayman

What is the name of your state? NJ

I volunteered for an animal rescue org and one of the animals I was watching became sick. I called a member of the org's board who told me to take the animal to a specific vet. This vet performed a DNA test as part of his diagnosis. For payment, the org's Board Member gave the org credit card number to the vet over the phone, authorized the charges, and then made me sign on behalf of the organization. They are now trying to make me pay for the DNA test and threatening small claims court. Where can I turn to find info to represent myself (case law, other law, etc). Thanks.
Why did the CC not get charged?

lubi_wife

The CC was charged.

The Credit Card was charged after the Board Member authorized the charges over the phone. Now they are trying to recoup the DNA test costs from me personally. Thoughts?

justalayman

The Credit Card was charged after the Board Member authorized the charges over the phone. Now they are trying to recoup the DNA test costs from me personally. Thoughts?
Your original post seems to include all charges. APparently not so.

Have you spoken with the animal rescue organization concerning this?

and who made you sign on behalf of the org.? the vet or the person with the CC?

lubi_wife

There were two charges they questioned.

The disagreement is between myself and the Board Director. The vet is happy - he got paid and washed his hands.

There were two items in the overall charge the BD wants me to pay her org for: 1) some food I purchased for the animal in question, and 2) the DNA test.

I accepted responsibility for the food and paid for it because I could have gotten it elsewhere for free. But I did not order the DNA test as the BD claims, the vet did. She refuses to go after the vet, though, and is trying to strong arm me into paying her or threatening court action.

It was the vet who made me sign on their behalf. I never had the card or even the card information in my possession.

--BTW, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

justalayman

AAhhh! so "they" is not the vet as most reading your post would assume.

Tell the guy (whoops, reread your last post.. correction to "gal") to stuff it. He authorized the charges. He had the opportunity to ask and scrutinize the charges before authorizing them. If the vet believed the test to be appropriate and not merely an additioanl service, the org guy just needs to drop it. If he doesn;t I suspect a judge will tell him to if it goes to court.

The dispute should be between the vet and the organization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">