• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hendrix

What is the name of your state? California. My friend is just starting out in his own concrete cutting business. He did a small job on a fence, that was corroded and the man was not happy after wards. He paid my friend $1000.00. He left three or so messages on my friends voice mail. and after a period filed a claim for $1,500.00 My friend was served yesterday, called the man immediately, and offered to bring a check over for the $1,500.00 to settle. The man refused to accept that, and claimed he wanted to sue my friend. What can he do now? The claim is for $1,500.00 can he ask for more now? My friend does not want to miss a half day of work for court? What do you suggest?
Thanx so much.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Hendrix said:
What is the name of your state? California. My friend is just starting out in his own concrete cutting business. He did a small job on a fence, that was corroded and the man was not happy after wards. He paid my friend $1000.00. He left three or so messages on my friends voice mail. and after a period filed a claim for $1,500.00 My friend was served yesterday, called the man immediately, and offered to bring a check over for the $1,500.00 to settle. The man refused to accept that, and claimed he wanted to sue my friend. What can he do now? The claim is for $1,500.00 can he ask for more now? My friend does not want to miss a half day of work for court? What do you suggest?
Thanx so much.

My response:

One of two things - -

1. Your friend can go to the courthouse, and offer him $500.00 to settle. When he refuses, let him prove-up his case to the judge.

2. Your friend can stay home, or go to work, and let the guy take your friend's default (automatic loss).

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">