• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megabyte

I live in Wyoming. I am being sued by a woman I had a short relationship with. She lived at my home for three weeks when our relationship went bad. After she left she wanted me to pay for a suntan she paid for. I told her I wouldnt pay for it but I did offer to pay for some flowers she purchased on her own and planted them at my house. She kept asking for the check. I told her I was going to send it but then she said I was lying and kept a couple things of mine that she borrowed and took home. She said she posted them for sale on Facebook. I decided not to send the check then. Now she is taking me to small claims court for the flowers. Do I owe her the check if I offered to pay for the flowers even though she purchased them without me asking then sold my things?

I believe the rule in most states is that you can't form a contract after a performance. If I provide a service to you at no charge, and then after the fact you say you're going to compensate me anyway, we don't have an enforceable contract.

eerelations

Tell her (in writing - all copnversations with her must be in writing from now on) that as soon as she retuens your property, you will consider sending her a cheque for the flowers.

Or, you might consider digging up the flowers and couriering them to her...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">