• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued by attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gannonva33

What is the name of your state?Washington, DC

I am being sued by an immigration attorney for the payment of duties performed.

I aquired his services to help me obtain a visa for my daughter to come here to this country. He asked for $500 up front which I paid and $500 afterwards.

I gave him the information my name, my daughters name, country of orgin, etc. After a wait of several months I went to his office to check on the status. After being informed that he did not have any information I asked to look at a copy of the form he had sent to immigration.

1. He had my name, not my daughters
2. He had the address wrong for my house.
3. Most important I am asian and from Mongolia. The attorney had sent the forms to his counrty of origin, the El Salvador consulate. I have never been there. After I told him that he had done it incorrectly he informed me there was not a lot he could do. I spent the better part of another 2 months speaking with INS getting the information correct. I was told by immigration even though it was not my fault the process for my daughter would be an additional 6 months because it had to start over again.

He not only would not refund my $ but is suing me in small claims for the 2nd half of the monies even though he has performed no services since that time.

Any suggestions of what I can do would be helpful. I will not just cave in and pay the money without a decent aurgument.

S

seniorjudge

Tell the judge in small claims court what you told us here. It was very clear to me.

File a counterclaim for your money back.

Be respectful.

Do not interrupt.

Wait your turn.

Dress like you are going to court, not like the local ragpickers.

Have all your stuff documented and have copies for the judge and copies for the lawyer.

File a complaint against the lawyer with the local bar.

Any lawyer who doesn't know the difference between Mongolia and El Salvador should have his longitude adjusted!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">