• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued by daughter for car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PattySue

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have just recieved 3 seperate summons naming my ex-husband and daughter as plaintiffs against me. Please give me any opposing views and advice you can. Honestly, anger and heartbreak are clouding my judgement so I desperately need objective input.

Case #1- In March of 2005 I purchased a new four wheeler. My then 14 year old daughter was racing our old polaris, and wanted a better ATV to race with. I agreed to sell the old one we had if she did good in school. She knew that it was a family four wheeler, though it was purchased to fit her racing needs better. In July of that year she and her father became angry at me when I caught her sneeking cigarettes over from her dad's house and chewed them both out. I didn't see her or speak to again until August of 2007, with the exception of Christmas and my mother's funeral. In April of 2006 I sold the four wheeler as I don't ride much anymore and my daughter wasn't there to ride it either.I am being sued for $3,000, the maximum allowable under Missouri law. The claim is that it was her fourwheeler and I had agreed to store it indefinately. It states further that I sold it without her permission.

Case#2- When I purchased above four wheeler I set a maximum amount of $4,000 that I would spend. My daughter wanted a new four wheeler so I explained that she would be responsible to purchase all the additional safety gear the race regulations call for. She agreed and I took $588.00 out of our joint savings account to pay for the race equipment.
The claim says that I took the money out of her account without permission and won't pay it back.

Case#3- On August 17th 2006 my ex-husband called, to say he didn't want our daughter living with him anymore as she was out of control and had even gotten in trouble with the law for drinking. That night he dropped her off on my doorstep. I baught a car for her use but she had to pay gas and insurance fees as well as keep up with the personal expectations I had laid out for her. Continued good grades, sports, court ordered counseling and community service and good behavior at home. In March she moved back in with her Father citing that she was tired of being treated like a kid and that he would give her more freedom than I would. She wanted to take the car to his house but I said no.
They are suing for $3,000, the maximun value of the car.

Does their case have merit in any way? Thank You in Advance for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">