• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by ex-mother in law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpohlmeyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am being sued by my ex-mother in law for non payment of rent. There is no written agreement between between us. When I divorced her son in 2009 I was allowed to stay living in the mobile home until my son graduates in 2016 per our divorce decree. The mobile home is in my ex-in laws name and I am to pay them the house payment each month. In January, 2010 the ex mother in law told me that I would need to pay $400.00 a month from now on even though the house payment was never that much. Then she started telling me that I was paying rent and not the house payment. Therefore I assumed I was paying rent and yes there were times I paid her short or didn't pay her due to having to pay for repairs to the mobile home or for medical bills for my 2 children. My oldest child from my first marriage has Graves disease, multiple ligament dysfunction, suffers from migraines on a daily basis and has learning disabilities. I am a single parent that lives paycheck to paycheck. I get no help financial for my son and this is his grandmother that is suing me.

My question is can she sue me for non payment of rent when there is no written agreement between us? If she can what will happen to me if I can not pay her the amount she is suing me for?

Eekamouse

How is it that a mobile home was brought into your divorce decree when neither of you own the mobile home?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How is it that a mobile home was brought into your divorce decree when neither of you own the mobile home?
Just like an apartment. Basically, this is ordering the other party to move out of the residence.

For the OP: Rental agreements can be verbal. Yes, you can be sued.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am being sued by my ex-mother in law for non payment of rent. There is no written agreement between between us. When I divorced her son in 2009 I was allowed to stay living in the mobile home until my son graduates in 2016 per our divorce decree. The mobile home is in my ex-in laws name and I am to pay them the house payment each month. In January, 2010 the ex mother in law told me that I would need to pay $400.00 a month from now on even though the house payment was never that much. Then she started telling me that I was paying rent and not the house payment. Therefore I assumed I was paying rent and yes there were times I paid her short or didn't pay her due to having to pay for repairs to the mobile home or for medical bills for my 2 children. My oldest child from my first marriage has Graves disease, multiple ligament dysfunction, suffers from migraines on a daily basis and has learning disabilities. I am a single parent that lives paycheck to paycheck. I get no help financial for my son and this is his grandmother that is suing me.

My question is can she sue me for non payment of rent when there is no written agreement between us? If she can what will happen to me if I can not pay her the amount she is suing me for?
Your ex mother in law is NOT bound by your divorce decree. Either pay the rent or move or be evicted. Time for you to be a grown up and support your children and yourself. Your ex mother in law owes you nothing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Just like an apartment. Basically, this is ordering the other party to move out of the residence.

For the OP: Rental agreements can be verbal. Yes, you can be sued.
The major problem is that the divorce decree is not enforceable as OP says it is written. OP is not guaranteed to be able to stay there until 2016. Not at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The major problem is that the divorce decree is not enforceable as OP says it is written. OP is not guaranteed to be able to stay there until 2016. Not at all.
Agreed. I understand that the part of the decree with a time frame doesn't apply. However, it does allow the OP to remain (subject to the terms of the verbal rental agreement), while forcing the ex out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Agreed. I understand that the part of the decree with a time frame doesn't apply. However, it does allow the OP to remain (subject to the terms of the verbal rental agreement), while forcing the ex out.
It allows OP to remain instead of EX. But OP doesn't seem to comprehend she needs to actually pay rent and be responsible.

latigo

Your ex mother in law is NOT bound by your divorce decree. Either pay the rent or move or be evicted. Time for you to be a grown up and support your children and yourself. Your ex mother in law owes you nothing.
Your warmhearted compassion seems to have overwhelmed your comprehension of the English language.

The woman writes that she and her children are existing from "PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK"!

In spite of which it appears that she and her diseased and disabled child and sibling are about to become homeless. And you have the pitiless gall to rancor and tell her to grow up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your warmhearted compassion seems to have overwhelmed your comprehension of the English language.

The woman writes that she and her children are existing from "PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK"!

In spite of which it appears that she and her diseased and disabled child and sibling are about to become homeless. And you have the pitiless gall to rancor and tell her to grow up?

Nice. Really nice! And you call others "snarky?
What I wrote was true. She needs to be able to pay her bills. Including rent. Her mother in law can evict her if she doesn't. If she can't afford to pay rent, she needs to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">