• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued by former landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kena

What is the name of your state? north carolina

I moved about six months ago. I notified my former landlord at the beginning of march that i was planning on moving and she had told my father months prior to that , that she planned to do something w/the house so i had to move anyway. she even gave me a letter saying that i had paid my rent timely to help me in finding another place because I did not have all of my receipts as proof. I did not move until the first week of may but i paid the rent for april, now she says i owe two and half monts rent. i do have my receipt for the months of 2003 as well as the letter she wrote that i had notarized. i never signed a lease or rental agreement i stayed in the home after my mom moved out and continued to pay rent and she agreed to it. she's claiming i did not pay rent back some years or year ago which she knows i don't have the receipt but i do have the final one showing $0 as to the final balance should i be worried? my rent was cheap and she never fixed anything when i asked so i got what i paid for but will the things that never got fixed that were harmful help me in court even though i stayed because i couldn't afford to move at the time.:confused:

JETX

Thank you for sharing that with us... it was a very interesting window into your daily activities.

Now, if you have a legal question, feel free to return to this forum.

BL

being sued by landlord :

will the things that never got fixed that were harmful help me in court [ quote ]

As long as you gave proper notice , and you have the latest receipts and a notarized letter , that is your legal defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">