• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued for a Hospital Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patti-Jean

What is the name of your state?Indiana
I need to know what my rights are as I am being sued by a lawyer representing a hospital. I do not remember this bill and the insurance paid almost all of it. I wrote a letter to this lawyer and asked about this and now it is being used as Exhibit A. I was upset when I wrote it but do not feel it was threatening. I cant afford a lawyer and this lawyer is constantly sending me the papers, two now and a summons. I dont know what this means. I feel he is harassing me, can he do this? :mad:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Patti-Jean said:
What is the name of your state?Indiana
I need to know what my rights are as I am being sued by a lawyer representing a hospital. I do not remember this bill and the insurance paid almost all of it. I wrote a letter to this lawyer and asked about this and now it is being used as Exhibit A. I was upset when I wrote it but do not feel it was threatening. I cant afford a lawyer and this lawyer is constantly sending me the papers, two now and a summons. I dont know what this means. I feel he is harassing me, can he do this? :mad:

My response:

Yes, he can do this. It means you're being sued in a court of law.

IAAL

BL

I do not remember this bill and the insurance paid almost all of it.
So , you either pay the balance , or go to court and prove the Insurance paid most of it . The Court will issue a Judgment for the balance and associated fees .

GaAtty

GaAtty

Yes, he can try to get you to pay by letters and a summons. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you file a written answer in the court before the deadline on the summons (probably 30 days, but maybe less in your state). You should not call or write the lawyer any more. All your communication from now on must be through the court. Your answer should say that you deny the debt in the amount claimed. When you file your response in the court, keep a copy of what you filed. Then you should find out exactly what your insurance paid and what you owe before the court date. On the court date, be prepared to show something from your insurance company that says how much they paid and when. Be sure you show up in court, if not, you will have a judgment against you for the entire amount, and you will lose your chance to argue about whether or not the insurance company paid any. If you come to court prepared to pay what you really think you owe, and ask the judge to let you pay it without becoming a judgment, and he agrees, then it will not go on your credit as a judgment( which hurts your credit a good bit).

Y

ylen13

shoudn't he file for discovery to see what that lawyer has?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">