• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for a medical bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legend41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am being sued for a medical bill. I know that I owe the money, and I know that many attempts were made by the hospital to collect the debt. I know that I ignored them all. Now I am being sued and need to know that if I try to work out a payment plan now, will it be accepted or is it too late already? I can send them a small amount, I owe $790.00 and can send about $10 a month to pay off the debt.

Antigone*

I am being sued for a medical bill. I know that I owe the money, and I know that many attempts were made by the hospital to collect the debt. I know that I ignored them all. Now I am being sued and need to know that if I try to work out a payment plan now, will it be accepted or is it too late already? I can send them a small amount, I owe $790.00 and can send about $10 a month to pay off the debt.
You need to ask them BUT I seriously doubt they will accept your pidley offer.

Proserpina

I think the chances of the debt collector accepting that plan are virtually nil.

You'd be paying it off forever - can you imagine the interest that they'll tack on to that?

tranquility

At 5% interest it would take 96 months or 8 years. At 10% interest it would take 129 months or almost 11 years.

Although some of the collectors in the forum will come by with a more practical answer, but if you're really in hardship without a lot of assets, I'd accept 10% interest with everything paid off in three years.

That would be just about $25.51 a month.

But that's me. I'm generally a nice guy. Collectors? Your call.

Antigone*

At 5% interest it would take 96 months or 8 years. At 10% interest it would take 129 months or almost 11 years.

Although some of the collectors in the forum will come by with a more practical answer, but if you're really in hardship without a lot of assets, I'd accept 10% interest with everything paid off in three years.

That would be just about $25.51 a month.

But that's me. I'm generally a nice guy. Collectors? Your call.
Rhetorical question: Why on earth would I want to wait 11 years for my money when enforcing a judgement could wipe this debt out in relatively short order?

Answer to the question: I wouldn't:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">