• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for medical bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsn

Please help.
I am being sued in Small Claims Court by a local hospital for services (MRI/CT) performed over a year ago. The suit is for $1225.24. I don't dispute $ amount but didn't expect to be sued by a hospital, who is expected to provide care. I don't dispute that I should've paid the debt previously. I've intended to pay all along. Life bills always came 1st. Fact is, we're living check to check as is. My fiancé is 34 & had a heart attack 4 years ago and pacemaker was installed. His medical bills & ongoing costs of care, prescriptions, etc...have made it hard for us to keep up with our regular bills, but we try. My overall debt portfolio is not bad, because I manage to get the bills paid. He filed bankruptcy a year ago, to help with some of his bills, pre heart attack. While I always intended to pay the bill, a prescription refill, electric bill or ER visit always came first....I offered a settlement & even enclosed a money order as show of good faith, with a guaranty of payment of balance of settlement within 2 days. They returned it & said that they're not authorized to make counter offer. Do I make 2nd offer and see if they take it, or try and find a way to pay in full & ask for dismissal. If I just find a way to pay entire thing at once, before the court date, can a judgment still be levied, if the debt is paid? I'm simply trying to salvage what little credit I have left, and avoid a judgment.

Please help. I really can't afford a lawyer, but could use some advice.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsn

Please help.
I am being sued in Small Claims Court by a local hospital for services (MRI/CT) performed over a year ago. The suit is for $1225.24. I don't dispute $ amount but didn't expect to be sued by a hospital, who is expected to provide care. I don't dispute that I should've paid the debt previously. I've intended to pay all along. Life bills always came 1st. Fact is, we're living check to check as is. My fiancé is 34 & had a heart attack 4 years ago and pacemaker was installed. His medical bills & ongoing costs of care, prescriptions, etc...have made it hard for us to keep up with our regular bills, but we try. My overall debt portfolio is not bad, because I manage to get the bills paid. He filed bankruptcy a year ago, to help with some of his bills, pre heart attack. While I always intended to pay the bill, a prescription refill, electric bill or ER visit always came first....I offered a settlement & even enclosed a money order as show of good faith, with a guaranty of payment of balance of settlement within 2 days. They returned it & said that they're not authorized to make counter offer. Do I make 2nd offer and see if they take it, or try and find a way to pay in full & ask for dismissal. If I just find a way to pay entire thing at once, before the court date, can a judgment still be levied, if the debt is paid? I'm simply trying to salvage what little credit I have left, and avoid a judgment.

Please help. I really can't afford a lawyer, but could use some advice.
The ball is in their court. If they are not willing to deal then with a judgement you will deal.:cool:

justalayman

. I don't dispute $ amount but didn't expect to be sued by a hospital, who is expected to provide care
this is almost funny. Do you think the care fairy gives them money to operate? and the fact is, they did provide care; now it's time (actually long past) for you to pay. Hospitals are businesses and just like any other business, they have to have an income that covers their expenses to be able to remain open. Billing patients for services rendered is the primary source of that income.

You can make another offer if you would like. They have no obligation to accept but they can. If you can pay the debt, including the legal fees, before you walk into court, they cannot continue the suit and obtain a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">