• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued....need help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sedgington

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am going to small claims court in August because my former landlord is suing me for unpaid utility bills. My question is, can I be held responsible for utility bills that are in his name? The lease stated that I was responsible for utilities but he wanted to keep them in his name due to the fact that I was on a month to month and he intended to move back into the property himself in the near future. When I moved out there were bills that I was unable to pay and he called me repeatedly and threatened me with wage garnishment etc. I paid them at that point by check and unfortunately they were returned NSF due to the fact that my new landlord had already cashed a check and I was not aware of it. I know that I got behind on the bills and part of the problem I was having had to do with the fact that they were in his name. I did not have the ability to contact the utility companies and make payment arrangements because they would not speak to anyone but him. I attempted to work out payments with him directly but he replied with "If you didnt pay the bills to begin with, why would I let you make payments to me?" Do I have a legal leg to stand on or should I just go to court and try to make payment arrangements for the amount ($1900.00) that he is suing me for???
Thank you very much for any help or advice,
Sedgington

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">