• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued, no proof of money I put down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annasusan

I am being taken to court over a classic car I purchased 2 years ago. I put down $2000 cash. We are old friends, so didn't get anything in writing (I know, dumb move). Agreement was when I got work for him he would get the job and he would be paid remainder out of that. Well, haven't had any work for him, and have kept in contact with him letting him know and he was totally cool with it. I always intended on paying him, being a honest guy and all but the work just wasn't there. Well, now out of the blue he is taking me to court. I have no problem with going to court and paying him the remaining balance, but how he is acting, I am afraid he will not be honest and say I only put like $500 down so he can get extra money out of me, or he might say the price we agreed on is way more than what we had talked about, just so he can get extra money. Again, no proof of anything, this was all verbal. How might a case like this be handled if there is no proof of anything? He still has the title, as I have never drove vehicle because it needs work to be done and it has sat in my garage for 2 years. Anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">