• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued over free car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill_Deaton

What is the name of your state? Ohio
A relative signed a car over to me as a gift. The deal was I was to put in a gravel road at a piece of property she purchased. The job entailed much more than was first described to me, so I hauled stone until I reached what I thought the car was worth, about $600.00. I told her she would have to pay me to continue to haul stone. 4 years later she is taking me small clams court and asking for $1000.00 for the car. I have a copy of the title that says gift and a copy of where I sold it for $200.00. There is nothing else in writing. Dose she have a case?

BelizeBreeze

She does if you are sworn in and under oath tell the truth.

you made a deal. A verbal contract does exist and does not require equity to be enforcable.

If you had done your homework before making the deal, you would have suspected that the road would cost more than the car was worth. You did not. You cannot now come after execution of the contract and unilaterally amend it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">