• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued over a vacation....ugh!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GettinSuedNV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I had a friend of mine ask me to go with them on vacation. I was unemployed at the time, and told her I couldn't go because I didn't have the money. She said she would pay for everything except food. So I went.

While we were on the trip, she was kicked out of her home. She needed to move immediately upon returning. She told me I needed to pay her back. I said sorry, no can do. She harassed me for a bit and I continued to tell her no. She even suggested I use a student loan to pay her back. Nope. Sorry. (she also made the entire trip a miserable experience and i was pretty peeved about even being there, much less being told that I needed to pay for something that was originally given to me)

Fast forward to tonight and I got a notice dropped on my front porch. Not handed to me, not posted, just dropped on my front porch. She's suing me for half the cost of the trip!

Now, I know she doesn't have a shred of anything where I agreed to pay her for any part of the trip, because I never did.

I have:
the email from her where she booked the trip, nothing is mentioned about me paying for anything.
a message board post where I stated (quote) " She's paying for everything except food, so I'm not eating much" and "I guess I can't look a free *place* trip in the mouth, can I" (end quote). The post is date and time stamped about a month prior to us going.
a receipt where I paid for some passes to local attractions as a thank you for her taking me.

So, knowing that she has no "evidence" other than her word or something she's manufactured, (don't I have to be provided with copies if so?), what do I need to do to defend this? It's basically her word against mine, and I usually get screwed in these situations....:mad:

Thanks!

Last edited:

Antigone*

Show up to court. Your friend will tell her side of the story. You will tell yours. Your friend will show you and the judge her evidence and you will do the same. The the guy (or girl) in the black robe will decide.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">