• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for prenatal medical bills.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdm2006

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My ex-girlfriend insists on suing me for medical bills she has from two doctors visits while she was pregnant. We were not on good terms through the pregnancy. I was not present for the visits nor did I know of the visits till after they took place. They may have even been at the ER but I'm not certain of that.

The first visit was to confirm the pregnancy. The second was after she miscarried and was to confirm the miscarriage; I believe she was also given pain medicine.

I feel morally obligated to help pay for the visits, but since she insists on taking me to court I need to know if I'm legally responsible.

Thanks for any advice.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My ex-girlfriend insists on suing me for medical bills she has from two doctors visits while she was pregnant. We were not on good terms through the pregnancy. I was not present for the visits nor did I know of the visits till after they took place. They may have even been at the ER but I'm not certain of that.

The first visit was to confirm the pregnancy. The second was after she miscarried and was to confirm the miscarriage; I believe she was also given pain medicine.

I feel morally obligated to help pay for the visits, but since she insists on taking me to court I need to know if I'm legally responsible.

Thanks for any advice.

So...there is no live child, and you never signed anything at all saying that you agreed to be responsible for the bills?

She's blowing smoke. You are not legally responsible for these bills.

cdm2006

Whats pretty much what I thought but my big worry is she has a lawyer and I don't. Here in WV I believe you are able to have a lawyer present in small claims court and I need an adequate defense. Not sure where to start.

Proserpina

Whats pretty much what I thought but my big worry is she has a lawyer and I don't. Here in WV I believe you are able to have a lawyer present in small claims court and I need an adequate defense. Not sure where to start.

Hon, you have NO obligation whatsoever!

She can't even prove that you were the father! She could have been sleeping with half the state - she simply cannot prove that you are liable for ANYTHING.

Now, with that said, have you been served with anything?

cdm2006

Not yet, but apparently she's calling her lawyer tomorrow. I'll keep updating this thread as my situation develops.

cdm2006

She's saying she has text messages of me agreeing to pay half, which I don't recall. She frequently wakes me up in the middle of the night texting me about the whole situation; I hope I didn't say something stupid just to get her off my back so I could get some sleep.

Proserpina

She's saying she has text messages of me agreeing to pay half, which I don't recall. She frequently wakes me up in the middle of the night texting me about the whole situation; I hope I didn't say something stupid just to get her off my back so I could get some sleep.

Ignore her texts. Do NOT answer her texts. In fact - block her number.

Stop enabling the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">