• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued in small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SMALLCLAIMS

What is the name of your state? new york
hello, my question is this, my ex-girlfriend financed a computer (ironically the one i'm using now) for me as a gift. however i agreed to assume the monthly payments. in a two month period i gave her $150 in cash, and as our relationship declined i started mailing in only $50 a month, she requested i pay more. the computer is in her name and she actually took the computer back, then returned it at one point, which caused me to be cautious about paying more. however , due to financial difficulty i missed two months, and received the small claims notice in the mail, i have told her on more than one ocassion that if she notorizes a letter stating that upon final payment i assume complete ownership, she never came forth with this letter. since the two month difficulty i have resumed payment and within two month period paid $200. she is suing me for $1535, the bill at this point is $1335...in total i paid $450. we have no written agreement. what can i expect in court? what are my chances? do i have to pay that much? i just want some idea of what to expect and any idea of what might happen.

BL

You can expect to have to pay for the PC .

Why would she take it then return it again ,if in her name ?

You could , I suppose return it to her , since it's in her name , and she took it back once , ( having proof you returned it in condition you acquired it ) , then sue her for the payments you have made.

$450.00 + a couple hundred would get a new one, then maybe some rebates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">