• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued for Storage Fees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grizz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
Hello,

I am being sued for storage fees from a former friend of mine. This occurred about 2 years ago when i went to jail. He came over with my parents and offered to take my things in his possession. The thing is most of my valuable items were stolen either before or after he took possession leaving me with some clothes and a dresser not really worth the $600 dollars he is asking for. Also, I would have worked something out with him but he emptied my checking account which was denied in court, and i then proved he stole my money and won my judgement against him a few months ago. I didn't press criminal charges because i was dumb and gave him my pin but he wasn't supposed to empty it. Live and Learn. So this is now a retaliation for that but I have never agreed to pay him anything and he basically says that in his answer. Should I still be expected to pay this "storage fee"? Doesn't seem right to me. I suppose I will find out in court but just curious what someone thought.

Thanks for any help.

I have since changed my life around so I dont really need anyone telling me I deserve what I got. I've been cleaning up this mess for a few years now. Currently employed and working on my degree. Thanks again for any help.

Antigone*

Hello,

I am being sued for storage fees from a former friend of mine. This occurred about 2 years ago when i went to jail. He came over with my parents and offered to take my things in his possession. The thing is most of my valuable items were stolen either before or after he took possession leaving me with some clothes and a dresser not really worth the $600 dollars he is asking for. Also, I would have worked something out with him but he emptied my checking account which was denied in court, and i then proved he stole my money and won my judgement against him a few months ago. I didn't press criminal charges because i was dumb and gave him my pin but he wasn't supposed to empty it. Live and Learn. So this is now a retaliation for that but I have never agreed to pay him anything and he basically says that in his answer. Should I still be expected to pay this "storage fee"? Doesn't seem right to me. I suppose I will find out in court but just curious what someone thought.

Thanks for any help.

I have since changed my life around so I dont really need anyone telling me I deserve what I got. I've been cleaning up this mess for a few years now. Currently employed and working on my degree. Thanks again for any help.
If you do not have an agreement with him to pay storage fees, then you owe him nothing.

sandyclaus

Hello,

Thanks for any help.

One can't create a legal obligation to pay in this case without an explicit agreement that you would incur storage fees. If you were never warned that continued storage of your items would incur fees in any way, your former friend cannot prove said agreement existed and would lose the case.

grizz

Thanks

Thanks you've made me feel a bit better going into court.
I showed up for mediation and the plantiff never showed.
He says he had work and didnt know what time it was at.
Which one is the reason you didnt show up I dont know.
So now he had a motion to reopen set forth in 4 months.
Can't wait...Was really hoping to be done with this...

Thanks again for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">