• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by a subcontractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

natekane

I live in Texas.

I am being sued by a contractor who I hired to do some work for me. He was supposed to write some computer code that would create reports. We had agreed upon a price and he told me he would be available for a certain amount of time.

When he delivered the code it did not work and he was not willing to fix it until I paid him the original amount. Then to fix the code he would charge me more. I offered to pay him half but he obtained a lawyer instead and is demanding the total amount as well as court costs and attorney fees.

I had to hire another programmer to do the reports. He could not get the original reports to work either. He had to start from scratch. At least he is sticking behind his work.

What can I do?

seniorjudge

natekane said:
I live in Texas.

I am being sued by a contractor who I hired to do some work for me. He was supposed to write some computer code that would create reports. We had agreed upon a price and he told me he would be available for a certain amount of time.

When he delivered the code it did not work and he was not willing to fix it until I paid him the original amount. Then to fix the code he would charge me more. I offered to pay him half but he obtained a lawyer instead and is demanding the total amount as well as court costs and attorney fees.

I had to hire another programmer to do the reports. He could not get the original reports to work either. He had to start from scratch. At least he is sticking behind his work.

What can I do?

Q: What can I do?

A: Hire a lawyer and tell the truth in court.

natekane

The amount he is suing for is $1300. Is this going to cost me more than this or should I just pay him off. I would rather pay this to an attorney than to this guy but I don't have money to burn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">