• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued For A Used Car Private Sale NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beeazima

Hello everyone i would love some input in the following situation. I recently sold a car about a month and a half ago a 2005 Acura TL with about 117k Miles. I met up with the indivudal and he took it around the car and loved the car and the color. He then states he wants his mechanic to look it over before he purchases the car but really wants it. So the next couple days past by and i call out of work to meet him and his mechanic in brooklyn ny. The mechanic checks it out and says its in great shape, so we proceed to close the deal. We drive about 2 hours in heavy traffic to the bank to payoff the remainaning balance and then he drops me off at my house and takes possession of the vehicle. I sign off the title and give him the lien release and im done.I told him to change the transmission mount and just regular maintenance. 3 weeks pass and he texts me and says there is a problem with the transmission and that he will take it to the dealership to have it evaluated. He then tells me i should pay for some of the repairs because a transmission cant just go out. I proceed to tell him no but my brother can help him with labor costs as he is a mechanic. About another 3 weeks pass by and he texts me and says he chagned the transmission at 2500 and that the car needs all motor mounts and brake fluid leaked as well and i should either pay for parts or labor or he will sue me. I deleted all the texts like a dummy, so really have nothing to show. I also believe that he wrote on the title he payed 3000 to pay less taxes upon registration. He says he is losing his patience and that he will talk to an attorney in a couple of days. What should i do? Can he win in a smalls claim court? Should i be worried? Any help would honestly be greatful as i am so worried as my record is spotlessly clean. Thanks!!

BL

Did he pay this mechanic to look the auto over and did he obtain a receipt ?

You can ask the clerk of the court if you end up there ahead of the court date to subpoena this mechanic's look over receipt.

Did you write "as-is" on the sales receipt to the buyer?

Either way, the buyer took it to a mechanic to have the auto looked over and the mechanic said it was ok.

The buyer presumably had the auto inspected , or was he using the insp. sticker already on it?

If he makes noise and you end up in court just state what happened as you did in here in court.

OHRoadwarrior

Poor maintenance is one of the hazards of buying a used car. One should always check the color of the transmission fluid and for rusted brake lines among other things. Unless you gave him a warranty,he can enjoy his new car.

beeazima

Did he pay this mechanic to look the auto over and did he obtain a receipt ?

You can ask the clerk of the court if you end up there ahead of the court date to subpoena this mechanic's look over receipt.

Did you write "as-is" on the sales receipt to the buyer?

Either way, the buyer took it to a mechanic to have the auto looked over and the mechanic said it was ok.

The buyer presumably had the auto inspected , or was he using the insp. sticker already on it?

If he makes noise and you end up in court just state what happened as you did in here in court.

I never gave him a sales receipt just the title and even on the title he wrote that he purchased the car for 3000. The inspection sticker was already on the car.. And I don't think the mechanic gave him a receipt as he stated it was a family friend.

beeazima

Poor maintenance is one of the hazards of buying a used car. One should always check the color of the transmission fluid and for rusted brake lines among other things. Unless you gave him a warranty,he can enjoy his new car.
Never gave him warranty sucks that he knows where I live so you don't know what people are capable of. For all I know he could've put the car on park while driving 60 mph... Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I never gave him a sales receipt just the title and even on the title he wrote that he purchased the car for 3000. The inspection sticker was already on the car.. And I don't think the mechanic gave him a receipt as he stated it was a family friend.
Ignore the guy - it's an as-is sale with no warranties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">