• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being taken to small claims for former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngryBirdNJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ/NY

Hi everyone,

I had posted a few weeks back regarding an issue with a former employer.

Just a quick background:
I had resigned from my position with a company after being mistreated constantly (i.e. I was cursed at, screamed at, and disrespected in front of other employees and clients). I had enough, did not have a contract with a specified end date, and gave my notice. I sent back the company issued laptop I was using along with all notes regarding anything I was working on, and the keys to the facility. I also gave back a check for $191.25 which was the most recent bonus (as per my offer letter I was told I'd have to return my most recent bonus if I resigned within 60 days of receiving it).

Here's my issue:
I was given a large plasma television as a bonus back in the first week of July as well as a bonus for $1000. My offer letter/contract covers the issue with the bonus $, however my former employer has made a false statement indicating that he "lent" me the plasma television. He had told me not once, but twice that this was a bonus for being the sole employee to work all of the 4th of July Weekend even though I was away visiting friends and family in the Midwest. I was also working close to over 70+ hours a week, which I did not mind since I was rewarded with such a great bonus. I rented a truck, had two guys move the television for me as my former boss told me it had to be removed from the office immediately. My lawyer (who is my father's very good friend and a Judge in NJ) spoke with his lawyer who said that he (my former employer's lawyer) truly believes this case is a waste of time and that he knows my boss had given this television to me to keep because, in his words, "who in their right mind lends a 50inch plasma television to someone?" The other lawyer also told my lawyer that my former employer told him this is a "matter of principal" and that " He's suing because he's angry. He doesn't care about the money or the tv, he's more interested in revenge for quitting. He's taking this personally."

My question:
Do I just roll over and return the television (which is worth about $500-it was an older model that my boss had in the office, in a box, collecting dust when he gave it to me)? When I received it I gave it to my boyfriend to put in his apartment since I had no room in mine, nor was I able to cart it all the way from NY to NJ. My lawyer (who is only barred in NJ and will not be able to represent me in NY) told me I could either give the television back or I could allow them to take me to small claims court and speak to a judge there and try to work it out. I am fully capable of representing myself (as I was before I asked my family friend to guide me along).

AngryBirdNJ

I think that's what I will do. Doesn't it seem odd that someone would "lend" something like a 50inch plasma? It's not like HE paid to have it moved out of the office, down 3 flights, and into the truck. Why would I spend my own money just to "borrow" something? The real kicker is that his lawyer even advised him to just drop it since he is being sued by a former employee for something very serious and should focus on that rather than seeking revenge on me. If he hadn't treated me so poorly I never would have resigned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">