• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being threatened :Statement of Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidfool

In Canada

Canada.

Well here is the situation, I posted an ad online for a short term rental arrangement. I am at work most of the day and I thought I could rent out my place during the day for those that need.

I got a call from a man that provides massage services. I was open to the idea, discussed rates etc. I said I was fine with a 1 week sort of trial arrangement.

I found out that he would be conducting a business there which includes a sexual component.

I later backed out on the day our soft arrangement was to occur. No money was transferred, just a few emails that stated we would try it out for a week and see how it goes.

He know is threating to file a statement of claims for 300 dollars worth of advertising fees he lost plus lost clients apparently in the thousands.

I know this is weird, and i wish i didnt even make an offer. but i was tight on cash.

Does he have a case?

eerelations

I am in Canada.

Don't respond to him/his threats. If he files a small claims case, go to court and state what you know to be true and accurate. Back it up with the emails you have. It would be helpful if you could bring some documentation on how you found out he was planning to use your place as a brothel.

You have a fairly good chance of not losing such a case.

Personally I think this guy is just blowing smoke and that you'll probably never have to face him in court. But in case you do, be ready with all your information. Gather it now and keep it in a safe place. If he don't hear from him for a long time (like at least several years) you can then throw it all away.

sandyclaus

Canada.

Well here is the situation, I posted an ad online for a short term rental arrangement. I am at work most of the day and I thought I could rent out my place during the day for those that need.

I got a call from a man that provides massage services. I was open to the idea, discussed rates etc. I said I was fine with a 1 week sort of trial arrangement.

I found out that he would be conducting a business there which includes a sexual component.

I later backed out on the day our soft arrangement was to occur. No money was transferred, just a few emails that stated we would try it out for a week and see how it goes.

He know is threating to file a statement of claims for 300 dollars worth of advertising fees he lost plus lost clients apparently in the thousands.

I know this is weird, and i wish i didnt even make an offer. but i was tight on cash.

Does he have a case?
In Canada

Canada.

Does he have a case?
I KNEW I had seen this question before. And I responded to your other thread.

We only deal in US law here, but I would think that the doctrine of "Unclean Hands" might apply here. If what they are contemplating would be illegal, then they cannot force you to comply with a contract that allows for it, nor can they petition the court for relief when you don't comply. (And yes, that doctrine does also have a Canadian legal component.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">