• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Betrayal of trust, breaking verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sage W

I recently bought a large amount of sewing materials, fake fabric, and other materials for a friend so we could make a pair of costumes together.
I bought the stuff understanding there would be a deal. There was a verbal contract, and it was also discussed over IM. The deal was that we would do one of two things with the materials I had bought (about $450 dollars worth):

A. I would make the costume, but with her help.
or
B. that she would make the costume for me as a payment for what I bought.

In the end, neither of these things happened. We had a falling out, and she told me to "get out of her life." She has started on a costume of her own using my materials, and she refuses to pay me back or give me back the things I bought. Now she has finished her own costume, and is using it, but she has not paid me for any of it, (it was 100% paid for by me) and refuses to even talk to me anymore. What action can I take to get my money or the materials back from her?

I don't think there is much you can do. It could be interpreted as you giving her a gift. Did you keep the IM messages?

Also, what type of costume were you two going to make?

Sage W

I don't think there is much you can do. It could be interpreted as you giving her a gift. Did you keep the IM messages?

Also, what type of costume were you two going to make?
I still have the paperwork for the sales of the materials.
It was a pair of Werewolf costumes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">